Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

training with a neck bulge

Timothy Strickland

Timothy Strickland

This question is for Coach.

I bulged my c6-c7 disc (not a huge one, 2-3mm) doing Jiu JItsu and heavy lifting. Looking to know what training I should pay attention to with this type of injury. The injury most likely occured from years of sleeping on my stomach, strength training with little to no mobility built in, MMA.

I have been seen by doctors and chiropractors and they have agreed that I should be exercising again paying attention to mobility and stretching and keeping the weights light. The pain level is very mild now and is not traveling into my arm. My neck gets sore from time to time but nothing too serious. My goal is to strengthen my muscles in my neck and increase my mobility so such a thing doesn't happen again and maybe at the same time start the healing process to try and be pain free.

I have lots of other issues such as super tight hamstrings where I can barely touch my knees in the pike position. I've been doing the stretches for several weeks and when I started I had pain in my left glute but that has gone away and I am able to go further into the stretch now. 

I retired from Jiu Jitsu and will likely not lift weights until I am completely pain free for over a year and when I do it will be mild weights. My goal is to follow this program to the tee, I have been doing it 6 days per week, 4 being workout, 2 days being stretch days and Sunday being total rest. I am 39 and super tight, looking forward to the long term results of following this program.

Edited by Timothy Strickland

• 2 months later...
Timothy Strickland

Reading this now after following the program for 3 months I noticed I didn't actually ask a question lol. However, I have had some amazing results so far. Since the only thing that has really changed is following this program I can only attribute the changes to this.

Hip pain in my left hip is completely gone after doing the SS twice per week, Middle and Front Split series. My lower back pain has completely resolved itself ( this was going on for 4 years). I get almost no tingling or burning in my feet anymore. I had no idea my Achilles and Calves were so tight, I always thought it was my hamstrings (they are tight too).

My Neck pain is basically gone, it typically only gets a little sore during the stretches but then pain-free throughout the day.

The amount of energy I have has increased pretty substantially. 

The amazing thing about all this is, I am still in Level 1 foundations. I can't wait to see what's possible after I have made some advancements.

I have never done this much stretching in my entire life, I love how the program focuses mostly on mobility and flexibility and strength second. I am tight everywhere, but slowly starting to loosen up.

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Timothy Strickland said:

Reading this now after following the program for 3 months I noticed I didn't actually ask a question lol. However, I have had some amazing results so far. Since the only thing that has really changed is following this program I can only attribute the changes to this.

Hip pain in my left hip is completely gone after doing the SS twice per week, Middle and Front Split series. My lower back pain has completely resolved itself ( this was going on for 4 years). I get almost no tingling or burning in my feet anymore. I had no idea my Achilles and Calves were so tight, I always thought it was my hamstrings (they are tight too).

My Neck pain is basically gone, it typically only gets a little sore during the stretches but then pain-free throughout the day.

The amount of energy I have has increased pretty substantially. 

The amazing thing about all this is, I am still in Level 1 foundations. I can't wait to see what's possible after I have made some advancements.

I have never done this much stretching in my entire life, I love how the program focuses mostly on mobility and flexibility and strength second. I am tight everywhere, but slowly starting to loosen up.

Interesting that the hip pain is completely gone........casually?! i doubt!!!!!!