Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zero Ankle Mobility

Patrick Skutley

Patrick Skutley

Hi, I have terrible ankle mobility.  I walked on my toes as a kid so all my muscles are short and I have broken both ankles.  I would really like to just be able to do a normal squat.  My foot and shin barely can get to 90 deg without me putting considerable force into my foot.  One ankle is worse than the other and feels like I have some ankle impingement when I really try to push my knee over my foot.  And since all my leg muscles, calves, hips, and hammies especially, are tight, I think all areas of my legs need help.  When squats are programmed in my WO, I either have to put my heels up on plates or wear lifters with about a 1" heel.  

I'm looking for some ankle/squat mobility protocol.  I currently have all the leg related mobility restore classes programmed 4x/wk.  Should I do these more frequently? Is there anything else I should add? What would be an ideal plan for increasing ankle flexion? I also have Foundation Lower body, but I'm thinking I don't have the mobility to do that.  I'm just going to get stuck at parallel squats step 1 since I doubt bobbing up and down 4" is going to increase my ROM.   Thoughts? 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Patrick I'm gonna talk to you sincerely. i had many bad strain on my ankles when i was young and:

-if the strain/broken ankle is not managed early you risk to develop super tight ankles capsule;

-is the rehab is not followed by someone with high competency you have low chances to recover in the future the range of motion.

i did mobility and stretch and fascial release for more than 10 years, no results.

now my suggestion is looking first for a PT evaluation so that you can understand is the problem occurs due to structural limitations or acquired limitations.

on the first case, no way to recover mobility. in the seconds i'm not able to give you the amount of gain you can do.

Patrick Skutley

Thanks for being honest.  May try the PT route just to narrow down if there is any hope for me or not.  Thanks.