Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Job requires bending over 100x of times a day. Lower back pain

Joseph Amburgey

Joseph Amburgey

I squat down whenever I can. Other than that I need to bend over at the waist do something for a few seconds, stand back up move over a few feet and do it again. Squatting down changes the angle I can get to what I am working on and slows things down too much. As well getting on my knees would be far to slow.

Some days I have to do this 100s of times a day.

Are there any supplementary exercises, or stretches that I could do to condition or prehab for this?

Before this I was effectively doing jefferson curls with 100lbs without problems. I've since stopped doing them at all.

One thing I am going to try and consciously do is pull myself down with my hip flexors since this should stabilize my back a little more. However I don't think this will be enough to completely beat the repetitiveness of it.

I ordered this to help loosen things up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KK0AHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Joseph, when pain occurs there is always a reason usually functional overloading. suggestions should be specifically for your case but from behind a monitor, nobody can assist your situation. In case of pain, i always discourage people from asking advice on the web because if someone not qualified gives you a bad suggestion you can make the situation worse.

Coach Sommer

Hi Joseph,

No, I don’t believe there are any additional supplemental stretches or exercises you can do to alleviate this issue.  From your brief synopsis it appears that you prepared as best you could; this is simply however a situation of an unavoidable work related massive increase in volume.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Marko Sekulic

Hi Joseph,

Last summer I worked like construction worker for a few months, and had to lift heavy stuff from all kind of positions, all day long, with rounded back...back than I was already doing Jefferson curls regularly in my training (twice a week), and even the load was less than loads I worked with, I had 0 lower or upper back pain...

Just saying...