Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

home v gym - what are people's experiences

PAUL DALY

I really like my gym but it's kind of far and kind of expensive. 

contemplating working out in my basement - but am worried that I'll lose focus and motivation. 

It seems a lot of people here work out at home -- any tips or advice? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey People I did my workout at home since 2007-2008 that was the first people of me trying the old WOD of coach Sommer. i moved into a gym where now I work as PT later, something like 5 years after.

• Upvote 1

Since I started GST over three years ago, I've worked out from home. I have a basement gym with recently installed stall bars (so worth it). I'll workout 360 days this year. The convenience of doing it at home and not having to brave -30 temperatures for 4 months of the year make daily workout do-able for me. No way I'd workout as frequently if I had to commute to a gym every day. My motivation is to keep the end goal of accomplishing the seven different disciplines and the handstand in mind. Gonna take a while, but having fun chasing it.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

Since I started GST over three years ago, I've worked out from home. I have a basement gym with recently installed stall bars (so worth it). I'll workout 360 days this year. The convenience of doing it at home and not having to brave -30 temperatures for 4 months of the year make daily workout do-able for me. No way I'd workout as frequently if I had to commute to a gym every day. My motivation is to keep the end goal of accomplishing the seven different disciplines and the handstand in mind. Gonna take a while, but having fun chasing it.

do you mind if ask a bit more about your set up? do you have a tv down there? do you play music? how nicely set up is your space? set up kind of like a commercial gym or just stuff in the cellar? (or something in between of course). 

i feel like when I'm at the gym, you know, there's people watching me, and if I just sit there fooling around with my phone, i feel like, "hey don't be that guy who goes to the gym just to scroll through your twitter feed!" but in the basement. . . .  there's just a little less accountability! 

Do you ever feel that way? How do you combat it? 

Kylie Koch

I set up a gym at home and love working out there. I originally had our spare room which had little natural lighting and smaller, but  recently I change our bedroom into the spare room and now have a beautiful double room with gorgeous light and my GST equipment. I found once I made a space that I loved a lot I wanted to be in there more often:)

Hey Paul. No TV in my gym basement area, but it's right next to my office (open concept) so have a laptop and a monitor available. I don't use videos with my workouts any more...all the workouts are pretty much memorised. Music for sure. The basement has an 8' ceiling and bright windows. I've put 3/4" rubber mats in a decent-sized area, so it's clean and uncluttered and great for skipping. I have a set of PowerBlocks I use for SLS Foundation 4 workouts.

I've never had a problem working out alone. The most powerful accountability is to yourself, so that's not an issue either. I'm usually up by 0600, do some personal development activities, and done workouts by 0900 latest. Not a lot of conflicts or excuses to miss workouts early in the day. Just keep your eye on the prize...like accomplishing  SE14 Handstand. 5 x 120 seconds handstand still is light years away...I'm on PE10 now. But it was only ten months ago that I couldn't do a single shoulder tap. I'll have the five sets of 60 done by mid-June latest. My philosophy has always been, just keep doing the work. We have the perfect template, just do it.