Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Lever Help

Vic

I need some advice on progressing to a back lever. I start out holding a back lever tuck without any problems but when I move to the straddle I notice that my back isn't parallel to the ground, it in slanted. I don't think that I have enough flexibility to be able to get my back parallel to the ground. Should I work on skin the cat to help with this? Thank you for any advise.

Joshua Naterman

Flat tuck, my friend. If you can stay level in a flat tuck, flexibility is not your issue. Besides, your body weight is more than enough to get even the most inflexible of shoulders to allow a flat back lever. It's not that far back. Most likely it's a strength issue.

Flat tuck BL and lowering from inverted hang to German hang will help you the most, as far as I know. First step is a flat tuck. If you can do flat tuck, you'll just need to slowly extend out to straddle over a period of several months, just to be safe. You shouldn't be working straddle if you can't hold it for at least 20s max.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

when I was doing circus aerials last year, there was a girl who could barely get to horizontal in any back lever/skin the cat position. Just couldn't stretch them any further than that.

Some people's shoulders just limit themselves from that. It means they are very tight when it comes to ROM in shoulder extension.

Use the skin the cats as a warmup tool.

There is a lot more load on your shoulders, everything when you are doing them in straddle. Lowering from an inverted hang in straddle is much more difficult then pressing out to it from a basket (upside down pike).