Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Rid Of Lower Back Pain

Tiago Buhr

Hello,

I've been doing Foundation One and the Stretch Series for about a year now. My knee and shoulder pain have almost completely disappeared, but I still have lower back pain.

I've found out a few things and have a few ideas on what I could do to fix this.

1. My PPT is very, very strong as pointed out by @Alessandro Mainente in this post: 

2. I think my hamstring mobility is very bad. I can't even touch the floor with knees straight.

3. I spent years and years sitting in front of a computer, with bad posture.

4. I can't right now do any of the Pancake stretches, nor the prone band pulls, or bridge work. When I do seal stretches, it hurts my lumbar as well.

My ideas for how to fix this:

1. Be patient. I've had an entire lifetime to build these deficiencies, it will take a good amount of time for it to get better.

2. Stop doing any exercises that hurt me.

3. Start adding some core work in between, to strengthen my glutes and abdominal muscles.

4. Start adding some more hamstring mobility exercises. Which ones I don't know yet.

5. Do the seal stretches on my elbows, as recommended by Coach Sommers in this post. 

Is this a good approach? Anything you would add/change?

Thank you for your help.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Tiago probably, there are some elements very important. 

-strong PPT

-flexed lumbar spine

-years of sitting.

All of these things are related to short hamstring, glutes, abs.

Said that:

1) seal stretch is IMPORTANT, is essential.

2)restoring thoracic extension is not IMPORTANT, is essential

3)developing a good middle split means a very good spine extension, essential for your locked lower back;

4) you MUST DEVELOP the pike position.

• Upvote 1

Hello @Alessandro Mainente, thank you for your reply.

I don't understand what to do with your suggestions though. 

Should I do the seal stretch on the elbows then?

What about thoracic extension?

And how to develop the Pike position?

And what about the ideas I posted on my initial post?

Thank you for your help.

Alessandro Mainente

Developing the pike: Front split GB course.

Developing the middle split: middle split GB curse.

developing the spine extension: thoracic bridge GB course.

I understand, but this doesn't answer any of my questions. I am doing all 3 stretch courses.

What about this:

"My ideas for how to fix this:

1. Be patient. I've had an entire lifetime to build these deficiencies, it will take a good amount of time for it to get better.

3. Start adding some core work in between, to strengthen my glutes and abdominal muscles.

4. Start adding some more hamstring mobility exercises. Which ones I don't know yet.

5. Do the seal stretches on my elbows, as recommended by Coach Sommers in this post. "

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Tiago Buhr said:

I understand, but this doesn't answer any of my questions. I am doing all 3 stretch courses.

What about this:

"My ideas for how to fix this:

5. Do the seal stretches on my elbows, as recommended by Coach Sommers in this post. "

On some range of motion like the seal variation, the lower back can hurt a bit and in this case it quite normal. Doing strength exercises that hurt means that with the current technique they hurt...but what about technique? is it correct?

Core work in your case (probably lower back flexed can make the condition worse) should be carefully planned.

For your case, due to strong PPt the hamstring variation of the Front split course should be done with little bent knees.

Said that, if you check a PT and you have a decent diagnosis about WHAT is particularly tight in your hips I can help you definitely more.

Hey Alessandro,

Thank you for your points. I reviewed my technique on the seal stretch, and found out there was a lot of room for improvement. Since doing the technique the pain reduced quite a lot while doing the exercise.

I will see if I can get in touch with a PT so he can check me up.

Thank you. 

• Like 1