Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastic conditionning for climbing

Jeremie Morel

Jeremie Morel

Hello everyone I'm Jeremie,

I am new to GB. I am a climber and I feel like gymnastics conditionning would be a great tool to add to my climbing training.

I am a fairly good climber (around 7B bouldering and 8a top rope for those who are familiar with climbing) but I feel like I lack core strength, especially lower abs, and its link with the lower body. I'd also like to get a better at keeping "body tension" which is related to the previous.

I have a pretty good lowerbody mobility though I lack end ROM strength to actively use my flexibility... I also have a pronounced khyphosis which led me over the years to not so thoracic mobility.

So my goal is to adress these weaknesses to perform better.

What courses or specific exercices would you recommand me doing ?

Thank you if you can help!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jeremie, actually you need to work on foundations for core strength, handstand in order to balance the ability to restore the shoulder flexion (something that you tend to lose with kyphosis) and also the thoracic bridge course to recover the spine extension in the upper portion.

Now, single courses are no longer available, you need the monthly subscription.

Jeremie Morel

Thanks Alessandro,

I have the monthly subscription so I have access to all this.

I am a bit confused with the user's interface though. When I go to 'foundations' in 'discover course content' there is no core specifics, it is sorted by skills (front lever, manna etc..). Though I can see there are core exercices in most. Do you recommend one in particular considering my objectives or should I do all of them ?

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente

Specifically for you the beginning part of manna, front lever and human flag are essential for core development.

• 1 month later...
Shaun Purvis

There’s actually a blog article in the public domain on exactly this topic titled “Climber’s Guide: A Gymnastics Cross-Training Toolkit”.

I’m also a long-time climber and tried that routine...    well at least I thought I was a climber :P