• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

seeking advice how to start after shoulder surgery

Jan Nitschke

Jan Nitschke

Hello!

Disclaimer**

I know that this is just a forum and people sacrafice their time to answer. i am very thankful for that and i am also willing to pay if there is anybody out there who feels ready to help me.

as my case is probably quiet difficult and may need some time to do proper feedback etc. i dont want to be rude or that guy who wants to have everything for free. i am just a student, but as my training, my body, my health is so important for me i am willing to put as much effort and $ in it as it is needed. thats why i try different ways, coachings, pt's  etc. i know also that its good to see doctors and pt's in reality, i am doing that. but as experienced people will know there are good and bad out there and it's not easy to find the ONE ANSWER or the ONE COACH who you can trust without doing some research on your own and try to understand things by yourself.

now to the topic - myself:

i am 24 years old from germany. in may 2018 i had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder. everything went well, doc made a PASTA repair + pulley reconstruction. about half of my supraspinatus was torn and the biceps pulley which most likely was the bigger problem got repaired. i am recovering quiet well from that as i dont have any more pain, even though i am still very weak and mobility ist still not good, but i progress quiet well. thats my right shoulder.

as my right shoulder gets better and better and i can progress in training my left side which has a slap lesion + tear in anterior labruum makes problems. may sound strange but my doc just said that if i remember it right the labruum seems to be damaged not only at the biceps anchor but also a bit more on the frontside. to sum it up i got some damage to the labruum. even if i got this diagnosis the shoulder is not unstable. physio did some test and came to that conclusion . i also never had dislocation. my goal is definitly to stay away from another surgery. physio said that i got some impigment signs (huermus tilted anterior) because of lack of strenght in serratus, rhomboids etc. the muscles that stabalize the shoulderblade.  as you hopefully can see in the video i got winging scapular and definitly lack of muscle and strenght around the shoulderblades. on the surgery side (right) more then left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Ay3E2dvu41kgWoz8

here is just a quick video how my scapular works, hope that helps.

i think that just foundation work is not enough for my case. i do daily light mobility work like CAR's .  basicly i do the exercises from the new band series  with minmal resistance band or bodyweight only lying on the stomach like the "swimmer" exercise. 

so question for me is now what i do have to do in order to get  out of pain, progress in training. i do some foundation exercise like the scap push ups on knees, some rowing but on machine, and some incline push ups. i also do butterfly reverse (which i will replace now by kelso shrugs) and some serratus wall slides with foam roaller, what i see and what my goal is definitly to strenghten the scapular and build some muslce around there. i do strenght work 2 a week.

i will also film these exercise to get feedback on my form.

i know that there are quiet a few people here on the forum who have/had shoulder problems and may have some advice for me.

thankful for any tip / answer.

cheers jan

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jan, after the surgery did you follow a rehab protocol with a PT?

Jan Nitschke

yes i did... but as i said the surgery shoulder is getting better and better... my non surgery side starts making Problems...

Alessandro Mainente

i THINK it is quite normal because for a long time you did not use properly the weak side you put more effort into the healthy one. now what the PT said about the painful side?