Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DIY Parallel Bars

Chad Burger

Hi all,

I just finished building a set of parallel bars to use as I am just now moving to the Russian dip progression.  Seem to be sturdy and are working out great so far.  Cost for the wood and material was about $100.

20190202_153345.jpg

Sweet!

You might also need some bracing on each side: bottom left to top right, as the russian dips involve pushing backward.

Is there anything under the feet? (wooden parts that extend outwards on each side).

12 hours ago, Nick Murray said:

Sweet!

You might also need some bracing on each side: bottom left to top right, as the russian dips involve pushing backward.

Is there anything under the feet? (wooden parts that extend outwards on each side).

Thanks Nick!  I did add blocks under the corners after the picture was taken.  I will take your advice a brace the posts.

• 1 year later...

Hi Glen,

The bars are 4' long 1 1/2" hardwood dowel rods.  The height of the posts are 50" and the space between the posts is about 19" giving about 20" space between the bars.  I am 6'5" and wanted something taller so consider your height when building.   Good luck and happy building.

Chad

After reading through a few posts on the topic of DIY Parallel Bars (including this one) inspiration took hold of me and I built my own. 

I’m happy with the result - they’re not ‘pretty’ but they work. I’ll probably upgrade the bars to metal at some stage - there’s some flex in the pine dowel which may weaken them over time. 

Happy to provide dimensions if requested.  

8F9AB27D-8595-45A7-B973-E1BF66178019.jpeg

71F009CD-4890-4F56-809D-8562003485CD.jpeg