Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I stop gaining weight..?

Geonho Lee

Hello!

First, I hope you understand my not good English because I'm korean, 

I'm 68/168cm and 21 years old, I have big problem that can't do a handstand, planche, front lever and so on. I've been doing calisthenics for 1.3 years, I know that i have a very short period. I've started practice handstand for 5 months I can do it yet. I think that reason that I'm so heavy and weak than my strength and balance ability and I think I can do those technique if I practice consistently, but I want to know efficient method whether i have to practice many techniques after lose weight or keep now. please let me what should i do! thank you.

Everett Carroll

Hi Geonho,

Thanks for posting. What sort of programming have you been using lately for your bodyweight training? Have you been gaining mostly muscle?

To achieve the skills you mentioned, you should definitely be starting on the GymFit Subscription Foundation and Handstand workouts. 

umm I've been doing training based on strength such as wall handstand(5rx5) push up(5rx5), pull up, hollow hold(45sx7), Inverted hang and arch etc. I have so many different routine. I split my exercise into routine of nine such as Push-A/B, Pull-A/B, Core-A/B, Abs-A/B, Leg. A is isometrics and B is dynamic exercises, moreover I've practice handstand for 5~6times a week.

If you can check my routine I actually want to list my exxercise routines this post. I relatively have low fat and high muscle mass, what do you think about that why I have difficult to do a handstand? simply short time period of training? If you think my weigh has big problem please give me advice and if it doesn't have problem I will practice a handstand more consistently. thank you Coach!

Everett Carroll

Your next step should be to submit form check videos of your current handstand, planche, and front lever progressions. It's impossible for us to say without first seeing your technique. 

Are you following the Foundation or Handstand workouts from the subscription? If so, you can post videos in those sections of this forum. 

I'm not following those.. because I know I have to pay the price of subscription, right? so I haven't done yet however there is my handstand videos in my youtube channel (건호리).

I've never started planche and front lever progressions, because I thought I have to clear handstand and then I can start planche.. but is it okay to practice handstand and planche training at the same time?

Edited by Geonho Lee

No, thay's not it. it's only my opinion. It's my misconception by your reaction right?.

did you see my video(handstand)? is it correct?? and I will practice planche if I achieve Planche plank(Planche lean) hold 60s x 5. what do you think about this? is it okay to do training like this?

I always appreciate your helping me ! thank you so much Alessandro

Edited by Geonho Lee

Charbel Ammar

Usually calisthenics and street workout coaches teach these nonsense stuff, (of course only few aren’t teaching these) they want to teach strength elements techniques and say that they found their own way into things, when of course they have some gymnastics background, and then who follows them may get somewhere, but we already know that this doesn’t work, a 5 seconds planche when your body is lowering during it isn’t a planche, same thing to the lever... the ego gets in the way and most of the people wants things right now, they don’t want to follow progressions, and usually advertising feeds their ego by telling them that they can do it in 1 year and so on

I felt like saying all these because 3 years ago I was stuck there and I was really really frustrated, and that’s where my Physical-Therapy  university courses made me understand something which only Gymnasticbodies was able to provide in order to reach my goal,

My bigest Thanks is to Coach Sommer of course, just like passing from grade 1 to 2 and so on, to achieve amazing results we have to achieve some milestones first...

Charbel Ammar

Edited by Charbel Ammar

Alessandro Mainente

You handstand is not bad, head position can be improved and also shoulder flexion. PLanche and handstand can be trained at the same time.

Thank you Alessandro!

I will keep practicing the handstand training to improve my head position and shoulder flexion

After 3month I’ll post my new handstand video! Thank you again

12 hours ago, Charbel Ammar said:

Usually calisthenics and street workout coaches teach these nonsense stuff, (of course only few aren’t teaching these) they want to teach strength elements techniques and say that they found their own way into things, when of course they have some gymnastics background, and then who follows them may get somewhere, but we already know that this doesn’t work, a 5 seconds planche when your body is lowering during it isn’t a planche, same thing to the lever... the ego gets in the way and most of the people wants things right now, they don’t want to follow progressions, and usually advertising feeds their ego by telling them that they can do it in 1 year and so on

I felt like saying all these because 3 years ago I was stuck there and I was really really frustrated, and that’s where my Physical-Therapy  university courses made me understand something which only Gymnasticbodies was able to provide in order to reach my goal,

My bigest Thanks is to Coach Sommer of course, just like passing from grade 1 to 2 and so on, to achieve amazing results we have to achieve some milestones first...

Charbel Ammar

Thank you for your good article

I’m not sure perfectly understood your mean but I know a few things about your thought. It is thnig that focusing on basic, am i right?

I also really regard as very important about basic progressions so I’m following it and that’s why I put off many calisthenic technicques training like planche, front lever and so on to implove my strength

I want to learn many things in this forum

thank you

Charbel Ammar
On 1/26/2019 at 2:30 AM, Geonho Lee said:

Thank you for your good article

I’m not sure perfectly understood your mean but I know a few things about your thought. It is thnig that focusing on basic, am i right?

I also really regard as very important about basic progressions so I’m following it and that’s why I put off many calisthenic technicques training like planche, front lever and so on to implove my strength

I want to learn many things in this forum

thank you

Hello Geonho,

Yes I suggest focusing on the basics, just like what Coach Sommer says:

“Basics, fundamentals, do the work, and then everything that’s excellence comes from that; In fact the higher the level someone aspires to, the better those basics have to be, and I’ve never found an exception to that.”

Good luck ;)

Charbel Ammar

13 hours ago, Charbel Ammar said:

Hello Geonho,

Yes I suggest focusing on the basics, just like what Coach Sommer says:

“Basics, fundamentals, do the work, and then everything that’s excellence comes from that; In fact the higher the level someone aspires to, the better those basics have to be, and I’ve never found an exception to that.”

Good luck ;)

Charbel Ammar

yeah I really agree you, so that I've been only doing basic training such as hollow hold, Inverted Hang, Arch, Planche lean, Chin up Hang, Side Planck and so on

And additionally also ring support hold! If you;re curious about my training I want you to visit to my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XoVQuxkmPEcsEfplnMroA?view_as=subscriber)

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Geonho Lee said:

yeah I really agree you, so that I've been only doing basic training such as hollow hold, Inverted Hang, Arch, Planche lean, Chin up Hang, Side Planck and so on

And additionally also ring support hold! If you;re curious about my training I want you to visit to my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XoVQuxkmPEcsEfplnMroA?view_as=subscriber)

Thank you!

Support hold it is not a basic training. 

12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Support hold it is not a basic training. 

Why it’s not?? so.. what is it that basic training you’re thinking

I achieved bar support training 60s x 5 and then advance the next step ring support hold 20s x 9

Am I going to wrong progressions?

Alessandro Mainente

Basic strength training for bodyweigth workout and especially GST does not require to work specifically of rings support elements that required:

-good amount of balanced shoulder to maintain the upper arm in the socket. this means a strong rotator cuff and generally a good balance between anterior and posterior muscles that stabilize the shoulders;

-bicep basic conditioning that avoids excessive stress on the elbow during straight arm works on rings;

-decent amount of bent arm pushing strength so that the stabilization muscles have good support on the unstable support.

said that, without knowing your level I cannot suggest you to use specifically rings.

• Like 1