Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hitting reset - where to start

Jason Neff

Hello -  looking for some advice here.  I'm a new GB Unlimited subscriber, but I've used the GB programs for something like 4 years.  I've made progress over that time, but feel stuck.  I haven't seen much progression in the last 9-12 months...been working in foundation and handstands, ~3-4 days per week, pretty consistently.  

I REALLY want to get a 30 to 60-second freestanding handstand, and would like to dig in to the rings as well (I did lots of rings work mostly through the GMB rings program - so I can do ring muscle ups, l-sits, shoulder stands, and a few other things, but nothing approaching an iron cross or better).  I haven't yet done anything in the GB rings program except getting a good 10+ second false grip hold.

I know I need more work on flexibility - mostly in the legs - hips, quads, hamstrings...which may be preventing my progress at this point.

In my home gym, I have the facilities to do all floor work, I have a good set of stall bars, rings with great clearance, and a wall.  I do not have parallel bars, dip bars, or any other large piece of equipment (this is sometimes a frustration in working through foundation courses - when a move seems to require something like parallel bars).  I could get a separate pull-up bar, but I don't know how I would access parallel bars.

Admittedly, I have done a poor job at nutrition, but willing to fix that with the GB nutrition program.  I'm willing to put in 6 days a week of work, but I can't go longer than 50 minutes per day (six kids, only time to exercise is early morning).  I've also never done a good job of doing form checks on GB...so there's a possibility I haven't truly passed a few things when I thought I had nailed it.  Willing to get better on that as well.

So the question - where do I start, and what is the optimal 6-day routine for me?  Feel really stuck right now...

My last progressions in foundation were: CORE - FL SE4: ½ straddle front lever (but on rings because no parallel bars), SL PE11 windshield wipers - feel like I've tweaked back muscles 3 different times on this one, and maybe limited by hip flex, MN SE1 - ½ L-sit (again on rings, no parallel bar access).  UPPER - HBP PE18 - elevated headstand PU (can't get past 4/3/3/2 reps), RC PE16 pullover - can't do because no bar for that, SPL SE2 advanced frog stand - can't progress because I can't get more than about 2 seconds on the mobility - bent arm half straddle single leg extension.  I'm not doing any GB legs right now (been doing 2-3 days HIIT work mostly legs), and can't seem to find time for stretch and don't know which one is best to start with (don't think I can fit more than one in my schedule at a time).

Long message, sorry, but feeling lost and just need someone to get me on the right path here so that progression starts again.  Rings and handstand work are the things that are naturally most fun for me.  THANKS!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jason, personally i think that you need to begin to post more the video executions. sometimes the inability to pass over some progression is due to bad technique and if the technique is not the problem you can still have suggestions about foundations like for example the bent arm planche development etc.

YOU MUST include legs into your training session and for sure understand what is your primary goal, ou are doing hiit...you did rings...one thing at a time and you will reach the results.

no matter if something is funny...iron cross is super funny and also maltese cross, but without proper preparation, they will break your shoulders and your elbows. before any fun things you to be able to handle it. period. first things first.

• Like 1