Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frequency of mobility training

Isak Tougaard

Isak Tougaard

- How come GST only has 3 major stretch sessions every week?

Obviously there are a million and one ways to approach becoming more mobile, I'm just curious why it is set up this way? Personally I have seen way better and faster progress, when I began doing the hip restore series every morning.

- And how about recovery? Does stretching tax the nervous and endocrine system the same way resistance training does?

Saquib Rahman

According to what the coach says during the Front Split course video, we should only do the stretch courses once a week because more than that would leave us too sore and unable to complete all the weekly workouts consistently. At the start, until we get close to mastery of the specific stretches, going through all the progressions during the whole 45mins is quite taxing on the muscles (and joints sometimes) so we need adequate rest. Not the nervous system though, it is actually quite relaxing.

The restore courses are less intense.

I can attest to the stretch courses leading to soreness. I am very tight myself so it is definitely a struggle to even do them once! But once you have mastered the front split, I am guessing you can use the split itself as a daily limber exercise.

I am also pretty sure you can select them multiple times on the weekly workout schedule if you find them easy enough to do more than once a week.

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/7/2018 at 12:01 PM, Isak Tougaard said:

- How come GST only has 3 major stretch sessions every week?

Obviously there are a million and one ways to approach becoming more mobile, I'm just curious why it is set up this way? Personally I have seen way better and faster progress, when I began doing the hip restore series every morning.

- And how about recovery? Does stretching tax the nervous and endocrine system the same way resistance training does?

Hey Isak, the stretch course is a good progression because moves from general to specific poses and also address the problems of the vast majority of people. it does not pretend to solve 100% of the cases..but almost 100%.

stretching taxes the CNS depending on the intensity of stretch, on the personal physical preparation, the amount of CNS you had just before the stretch series.

• Upvote 1

David Beckerman

For me some more frequent less intense stretching has helped. I refer to the restore series if you have access to them

• 3 months later...
Chance Peterson

If I'm looking to become more flexible all around, should I do all three courses from the Stretch series every week?  When is it too much?  Since they take 45 minutes each - is the 'daily limber' a good one to do on workout days when a Stretch series is not done?

Everett Carroll

Hey Chance,

Great plan. Do each stretch series once per week and the daily limber video on days where you aren't doing one of the long stretch videos.