Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Stagnation Redux...

Patrick Patterson

Joshua Naterman

Yep, at LEAST. Occasionally I take a 10-15 minute break in the middle of longer workouts to just eat, drink, and walk around. Helps a lot.

Patrick Patterson

Excellent, thanks again everyone.

So basically, slizzardman, you're saying I need to pay attention to how much recovery time I need between workouts now that I'm changing up the bolume/intensity from before, correct? Generally, I rest two days between workouts, my workouts are usually Sunday, Wednesay, Friday. So far I've felt okay, definately more sore than I'm used to, but no pain again in forearm (main sign that I'm overworking). Also it's the start of a new cycle so I assume that's normal anyway.

Today I did the adv tuck planche workout, 3-4 sec x 5 reps. I have to say it didn't feel anywhere near to the intensity of the 12sec sets of normal tuck workout... I think because just extending a bit into the flat back would cause me to fail close to the 3 - 4 mark, much too soon for any real burn feeling of intensity... but I assume that's the difference, that's why I'm alternating with workouts where I'll do 12secs of normal tuck, and 30secs of adv frog? I assume it's also going to take time to get used to the new position before I can really do serious work in it...?

As I'm including the cast wall walks and plance leans into my FBE section of the workout, and since I workout three days a week, I'm now wondering what to do with my other pushing exercises (single bar dips with undergrip and headstand push-up negatives): if I do all 4 (choosing one for each workout) is there too much time inbetween (as I only workout 3 days a week)? Should I forget one or both of those and do just the cast wall walks and planche leans? Or can I do both in one work out, ie. planche leans and dips in one work out; and cast wall walks and HePU negatives in the next one... basically having TWO pushing exercises per workout instead of one (as a way to increase volume)? Or just stick with one?

For now my handstand work consists of 8-12 sets of 1/2 max back-to-wall holds (trying as much to make them free standing) with double the hold time in resting. Last cycle that was 35 seconds hold, 70secs rest. I'm going to test my new max this week. This I do at the end of my workout. Ideas or comments on this?

Resting in the workout does help, you're right slizzardman. But I need to rest more inbetween statics and FBEs. In the past month or two I've started (when my schedule allows) to do the FBEs in the morning and statics in early evening... that's nice, but not always do-able. As I workout in the morning, I usally have my coffe (a double espresso) and a little water before working out, and then breakfast after (4-6 eggs with some meat and cheese)... working out in the morning on an empty stomach... is this something I should change? If so, what should I have pre-workout?

As always, thanks guys!

• Upvote 1

Don't work out on an empty stommach it's catabolic, if you want grab a quick shake before along with your coffee and eat your breakfast after as usual. For the pressing you can do 2 exercises per workout but then you will need to balance it out by doubling your pulling volume aswell.

Patrick Patterson

Thanks, Razz.

Ok, so if I do 2 pressing exercies, I'd do 2 pulling. Hm... I'll give that a shot, see if it doesn't burn me out too much. I assume if I'm doing 4 exercises instead of 2, then I'd want to work in the 3reps x 3sets range, not 3x5 or 5x5... correct?

I know it's a whole other subject, but what would the pre-workout shake consist of? Would eating some fruits before the workout be beneficial? How long to wait after having the shake/food would I start working out?

Joshua Naterman

Most fruits aren't ideal, but if they're what you have then go for it. I seem to get the best results by far with red grapefruits, but I might be really biased towards them. Still, they give me great energy. I still prefer a meal with some potatoes 30-60 minutes beforehand to a shake.

Pre-WO generally is BCAA, Glutamine, beta alanine, ribose, etc and is taken 30-45 minutes before the workout. As for fruits and things, you dont want fruits with tons of fructose right before the workout from what I remember. Like I said, my personal experiences with grapefruits have been good. Mangoes too, though I hate the mangoes we have in America. The ones in the Phillipines are heavenly. Peaches and nectarines work well for me too. Apples do not, nor do bananas. I've never tried oranges. I'd go for a bunch of veggies also.

Edit: all of these are not really useful until you know what kind of workout you're going to be doing, but for strength work the PWO carbs are not AS important, nor do you need as much as you would for higher rep training. If you do lots of supersets or the ring series, I'd say eat more carbs. For straight sets of 3-5x5, it's your personal preference, though there certainly are guidelines you can find on the internet. I personally just eat a full meal. It works best for me.

Still if you don't wanna freak out just remember getting some kinda protein and carbs is better than nothing :)

• 2 weeks later...
Patrick Patterson

From the planche section of yesterday's workout (which was 5 sets of ~4sec Advance tuck tries). These Adv. tuck days are strange as doing these sets which are so short seems... I don't know, it's like I'm just quickly trying to do something I can't do and not really getting a "workout" in if that makes sense. But I assume/hope that's not really the case.

J-BS2a2WdGE

As you can see I can't even really straighten my back at all into a proper flat tuck, and my hips are a little low and my elbows not 100% straight, but I assume when trying a new progression which is just over one's ability those kind of performance details will be off. If been working out three days per week, cycling like this for planche: Adv Tuck 4sec x 5 / Tuck 12sec x 2, 11sec x 1, 10sec x 3 / Adv Frog 30sec x 4; and my pressing FBEs are: Planche leans 5sec x 5reps x 5 sets / Cast wall walks 4reps x 3, HeSPU Negatives 5reps x 5

• 10 months later...
Planche:

5. you can also do a accsesory exercise with a dumbell...

What dumbell exercises do you prefer Gregor?