Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ring training for a triathlete...

mpalios

I posted this (sort of) on another thread, but wanted to start a new thread here, specifically about rings.

I'm training for an ironman distance triathlon in October. I have been participating in triathlon for nearly 7 years so that's nothing new.

Strength training - no lifting for about 7 months. Today, I did some chin ups (2x5) and dips/push ups (1 set each of 10) on those little workout stands on the side of some running trails. I feel like my pecs and shoulders have been ripped off my bones. I'm in bad, lifting shape.

I am planning to order the rings in the next week or so. Here's my thinking for some ring training sets:

5x3 reps - Ring Pull Ups

4x8 reps - Ring Push Ups (using stability ball for feet)

4x8 reps - Ring "Rows" (using stability ball for feet)

4x8 reps - Ring Dips

Core work on stability ball.

Do this until I can work out 3x10 of all these sets, and then I can move to some more/different exercises.

I want to do this 3x/week.

Sound good or am I way off target?

Hi,

I don't know about you, but if I am able to do 4x8 on one specific exercise, I can also do 3x10. Have you tested this? I think, that it would also be beneficial for you to work on your muscle endurance, as that's what you will need during an ironman triathlon. 4x8 as well as 3x10 is a classical bodybuilding sets/reps scheme. The exercises itself are well chosen in the way of helping your swimming. Do you also do some lower body work?

Hi,

I don't know about you, but if I am able to do 4x8 on one specific exercise, I can also do 3x10. Have you tested this? I think, that it would also be beneficial for you to work on your muscle endurance, as that's what you will need during an ironman triathlon. 4x8 as well as 3x10 is a classical bodybuilding sets/reps scheme. The exercises itself are well chosen in the way of helping your swimming. Do you also do some lower body work?

cla, thanks for the response. I wanted to work up to 3x10, but I am pretty sure I can do that. Just didn't want to dive head first, since I am thinking ring work is a bit different for me. I haven't tested anything just yet.

And I'll add in lunges, one leg squats, quick squats, yes.

Patrick McDonnell

I am a distance cylist not a triathalon, but have the same problem, i.e. maintaining strength while doing an endurance sport. IMHO, the key is doing as much of your sport without having your strenth training interfere. In other words, you don't want to beat yourself up so much strength training that you can't do your endurance workouts. Likewise, I don't like dedicating specific days or sessions specifically to strenght training. For this reason, I think a 3 x 10 program would be counterproductive to your endurance goals.

I cycle about 5 days a week and generally train a relatively hard periodization program using a power meter and lots of intervals. For this reason, I am a huge fan of GTG strenght training and brief simple strength workouts. At any given time, I am doing a GTG of two exercises for about 6 weeks. For example, I am currently doing weighted (@ 45 pound kettlebell or plate) pull up to muscle up transition, and weighted dips on rings. I do three reps for 3-5 sets throughout the day. Last month, I was doing Pavel's "naked warrior" program, which is GTG one armed push ups and pistols same type of program. Generally 5 days a weekl, I am working on some sort of static progression, now it is the basic planche and lever program outlined in Coach Sommers article. After several months, I can do an advanced tuck planche 3 x 20 seconds, and a pretty fair lever for 60 seconds. So generally after I finish cyclcing and some warmdown, I do a basic push pull workout of some type 3 x week. The whole workout lasts less than 20 minutes. For example, some days it will be 5 x 3 bench press at about 85-90% of max, and 3 x 5 sets of deadlifts at 85% of max. (brief rests between sts of 90 seconds to 2 minutes. I work in some ring flyes and gripper exercises. Others, military press or bent over rows, same 3 x5 or 5 x 3. Other days, a simple bodyweight routine like handstand pushups or dragon flags, if I am time stressed.

Unless you are a student and have scads of time, triatholon training is already an epic quest. Rings are great because they are efficient and can apply loads that would be dificult to apply with regular weights. Get a weight belt or do harder exercises if you are finding that you can't stress yourself sufficentltly in 3 -5 reps on the rings. In the gym, you want to develop strength, period. Work on endurance during the run, cycle and swim workouts.

It is not an easy balance. For example, while I was doing GTG pistols, it was very dificult to get through my shorter intervals on the bike at L4 or L5 because I was already overtrained in the quads and glutes. If you are training IM distance, you will find a little goes a long way. You could do a lot worse than weighted chins and dips on the rings twice a week 3 x 5. And some static progression work. In my view, you start doing traditional weightlifting routines, you're tri training will fall apart.