Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Volume per Day vs. Volume per Week

Aaron Altamura

Aaron Altamura

I came across this video of Firas Zahabi (strength trainer for George St. Pierre) and was wondering if and/or how the approach can be applied to GB.

Firas believes that it's rarely beneficial to be sore from a workout.

His reasoning is that light-to-moderate volume per day, 6x per week, tallies up to more reps than moderate-to-heavy volume per day, 2x per week. One can also focus more on proper technique with lighter volumes per day.

Thanks!

Thomas Hanssen

Didn't watch the video( too long) but you would have to look at total volume over the week. Its the main primer to muscular growth. Frequency is more secondary.

So if you get more  work done with 6 days vs 2. Then your body would have to adapt to a greater stimulus. Higher volume should lead to greater effect. Given that your body can handle the increased load, also depends on how advanced you are as an athlete?

But this is highly individual, some will thrive more on high frequency and lower volume pr session. As others prefer the high volume lower frequency. In the end it probably doesn't matter that much if total weekly volume is the same

Heres a study comparing 3 vs 6 workouts a week, not to much of a difference. They achieved the same or slightly better results in the higher frequency group. Notice this is with the same amount of volume. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29324578

Soreness is rarely a good indicator of muscle growth. Technique would improve as you do the exercise more often. Due to neurological adaptations.

• Thanks 1

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the type of workout and on the goal. can you do maximal strength training 6 times a week? damn no.

can you do submaximal strength work 6 days a week, damn no.

can you do DUP on six day a week that means that the intensity is managed differently day over day? yes, you can.

can you do conditioning 6 days a week? yes.

can you do a workout for increasing the metabolic rate and recovery rate for 6 days a week? depends, maybe 4.

can you train for mobility 6 days a week?

cn you do technical work for some exercises? like in gymnastics 6 day a week? yes you MUST.

so, it depends.

• Thanks 1

Jason Berger

If you keep yourself fresh, don't let yourself fatigue, keep your daily volume conservative and work with sub-maximal efforts, high frequency training should be doable. I am not an expert, but I have been doing a bunch of reading lately about exactly this kind of training.

If you're curious, look up eustress workouts and sub-maximal, high frequency strength training.

It's funny to me that we're discussing this since many people developing this training have been trying to get the same results of Olympic lifters and Olympics gymnasts who get strong and jacked from practicing their sport every day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Aaron Altamura

Thank you all so much @Thomas Hanssen @Alessandro Mainente @Jason Berger!

I crave opportunities to "unlearn" and this seems to be a big one! Our current exercise culture prides itself on "leaving it all on the floor", which results in bad form, soreness the following day, and perhaps a mental aversion to "rinse and repeating" daily.

How can daily, submaximal, high frequency training be applied to GB GST?

It seems this may be a bit at odds with GST, as GST asks for more than submaximal output to progress through the course.

Cheers!

Hi Aaron,

I saw that interview with Zahabi on Joe Rogan.  Personally I thought it was nonsense.  

Some people are physiologically suited for training 6 days per week and others are not.  If you are not, no amount of sub-maximal work is going to offset that.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2018 at 2:33 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Aaron,

I saw that interview with Zahabi on Joe Rogan.  Personally I thought it was nonsense.  

Some people are physiologically suited for training 6 days per week and others are not.  If you are not, no amount of sub-maximal work is going to offset that.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Once again, like almost everything, it's complicated and depends. I'd go ahead and just try to find what works for you. Be stringent in applying a model, and measure the results over a feasible time period. 

Mixing progress with sustainability is the goal and a balancing act