Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Job duties affecting training/performance/recovery

Fahad Khan

I'm 26 years of age and enjoying my gymnastics-based strength and mobility training for about an hour every day.

I am due to begin studying and working full-time as a paramedic which as you can imagine is a physically and mentally demanding role. My gymnastics work is important to me; My question is, will I still be able to reach an advanced level and will I be able to maintain this volume and intensity later in life with a career like paramedic science?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Fahad, i hope that someone with your work could share the experience. how much you work, how much you can sleep, the quality of the sleep, when you sleep, how you eat, what, the amount of recovery etc. everything plays a big role!

I haven't started yet. I'm still deciding what to study/work as. I wouldn't want to become a paramedic if it drastically reduces my performance and longevity in gymnastics. I try to eat as clean as possible, focusing on healthy protein, fats, carbs. I sleep 8 hours a night.

Leonhard Krahé

Hi Fahad,

Everything else aside, that is a very noble choice. Unfortunately, I can't give you direct advice as I am not exactly a paramedic and also I believe the actual demands of the job can vary quite drastically depending on where you live. I am, however, a med student in my "practical year" at the very end of med school (I believe you can compare that to intern year in the US, if not quite 1:1) and I have as part of my rotation been working/interning in the ER and in intensive care with roughly 8-9h shifts, sometimes more (which, to be fair, is not even that long). I find the job definitely takes its toll, both physically and mentally - often it is hard to go and work out because I am very tired and just want to relax but usually, even limbering/warming up already feels good and makes the decision worthwhile.

• Upvote 1