Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mouclier Victor

Mouclier Victor

I hope everyone is spending a great summer !

I would like to know what is the ideal motion/exercice to work the rear deltoid (is it transverse abduction-extension ? shoulder extension ?)

by this subject, i would like to read your thoughts and experiences about balance between front and rear deltoid.

thanks in advance

Thomas Hanssen

I dont know if there is an ideal exercise.  But the Bulgarian rows are pretty hard on the posterior delts, as with all rows/pulls where you pull more toward the upper part of your shoulders/face, and creating a shoulder extension.

I dont know what transverse abduction- extension is?

• Like 1

Mikey Cunanan

Mouclier,

As Thomas stated, there is no “ideal exercise” for the rear delta. Rather, the idea is to strengthen the rear felt in a variety of positions. 

Bulgarian rows or any other rowing variations target the rear delts.

In addition, any shoulder extension work will involve the rear delts as well. I personally, like to incorporate l-sits with the hips pushed forward between the arms. This strongly targets the rear delts in tandem with the triceps and lats, which leads to greater activation of these muscles.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Mouclier Victor

Thank you very musch for your answers,

To get a deeper understanding of front to rear delt imbalances : how do you think pressing-focused athletes like handbalancers or boxers manage to balance their shoulder developpement ?

Mikey Cunanan

I can’t speak for these athletes, but you can balance your shoulders with a healthy dose of rows and external rotation exercises for the shoulder.

• Like 1

Coach Sommer
On 8/21/2018 at 2:11 AM, Mouclier Victor said:

To get a deeper understanding of front to rear delt imbalances : how do you think pressing-focused athletes like handbalancers or boxers manage to balance their shoulder developpement ?

As with the vast majority of athletes, for the most point they don’t - until the muscle imbalance/dysfunction/pain becomes so severe that they are left with no other choice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Jason Berger
On 8/21/2018 at 5:11 AM, Mouclier Victor said:

Boxers traditionally do a lot of pull-ups just for that reason. Also, pulling their hands back after a punch is done with great speed. I used to feel it all the time in my back.

• Upvote 1

Joaquin Malagon

Is there a bent arm movement that stresses the rear delts in a way that is similar to what the anterior delts experience in a HSPU?    

Alessandro Mainente

Victorian cross works more the rear delt but it is something out for the 99% of the people in the world.

Joaquin Malagon

Why not perform shoulder extension with a bent arm inverted on p-bars? Like an inverted pull up but with emphasis on upper back and rear delts?

Alessandro Mainente

Because the weak point is still the abs. but ideally, you are correct. consider that the best solution for rear delt work should be approximately the victorian angles, so shoulder extension with the upper arm to the side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mouclier Victor

Thank you all for sharing knowledge about rear deltoids !

Another question - could external rotations be enough in the purpose of balancing front delt activity ?

Thomas Hanssen

Dépends on the front delt activity?

But i think not, external rotations is more for the rotator cuffs primary the M.Infraspinatus. 

• Like 1

Mouclier Victor

I think in a schedule that include pressing movements sus PPP, pike push ups and press to handstand, the amount of anterior deltoid is immense.

So one who's worried in keeping his/her shoulders safe have to perform a ton of rows or ring reverse flies in order to catch up :o