Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretch series in the morning, BJJ in the evening

Benjamin Nutt

Benjamin Nutt

Hey folks!

My Question: does anybody have experience doing hard stretching in the morning and a power-based activity (BJJ, weightlifting, etc.) in the evening?

Context: I train all the GB courses including the Stretch Series. I also train BJJ 4-5 days per week. Given the intensity and relaxing nature of the Stretch series', I generally do these in the evening AFTER all of my other training for the day. 

My schedule has recently changed, and it's becoming difficult to find (make) time to do the Stretch series in the evening. I do have time to do them in the morning, after Foundations and before BJJ (which I do in the evening). I want to gain mobility and flexibility, but I fear that training the Stretch series in the morning will kill my power for BJJ that evening. 

I've done the Stretch series in the morning before and have definitely experienced some wobbly-leg situations later in the day. I'd love to hear anyone else's input if they have experience with this.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Benjamin , talking about effects on the central nervous system the effect still remain after 10-15 minutes after the stretch so do not worry. Depending on the type of stretch you are doing you can be fatigue as in the case of PNF.

Jonas Berglund
On 2018-08-03 at 10:50 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Benjamin , talking about effects on the central nervous system the effect still remain after 10-15 minutes after the stretch so do not worry. Depending on the type of stretch you are doing you can be fatigue as in the case of PNF.

@Alessandro Mainente Not more than 15min? I have avoided doing gb -stretch series 1-2 hours pre sleep to not let cns mess with my sleep  / melatonin. Is this a mistake?

Alessandro Mainente

I mean the effect on muscles/tendon unit and general on reflexes. it is really difficult and really hard to predict the effect on a global system. for sure if the intensity is high then there is more production of a certain type of hormones and this can affect the ability to relax. I still prefer to train at least 3-5 hours before the sleep. at least.

• Upvote 1