Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain in the mesial part of the elbow

Stefan Mladenov

Stefan Mladenov

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one and I hope someone would be able to help.

Occasionally I have a problem with my mesial part of the elbow(only the left one), especially when doing pull-ups. I found  that I dont have problems with undergrip and it is slightly better when trying overgrip(close to false grip) but when trying to use a normal grip on a straight bar is just killing me.

Any idea what that might be?

Matthias Schwartz

It sounds like medial epicondylitis. Definitely read up on it, see a professional for it, and treat it now! It can last a long time if not dealt with.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Stefan Mladenov said:

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one and I hope someone would be able to help.

Occasionally I have a problem with my mesial part of the elbow(only the left one), especially when doing pull-ups. I found  that I dont have problems with undergrip and it is slightly better when trying overgrip(close to false grip) but when trying to use a normal grip on a straight bar is just killing me.

Any idea what that might be?

if the problem is medial that is epitrocleytis and not epicondylitis, now the problem becomes chronic you will never heal completely from it. be careful and stop doing painful exercises.

In addition to rest, (and a disappointing amount, if you love training), I have found therabars to be good therapy. I we understand your pain, correctly, I had it, too, and it took a few months to heal. It is frustrating, but I agree with Alessandro, not because I am team leader, haha, but because I have had experience with it, and you don't want to make it worse. 

• 4 months later...
Spencer Edgren 31976

If pullups are aggravating the injury then regress the training to something that doesn't bother it.  I have also found that doing higher volume work is nice for helping heal up connective tissue....along with time and rest.  Also be sure you are fully engaging lats during these movements.  Think about pulling the shoulder away from the ears.