Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recovering from bicycling overuse - supplemental work?

Jesse French

Jesse French

Hi folks,

First post! I've been doing GB Unlimited on and off for the past 6 months...I've been injured during some of that time (my back went out in late April) but I am mostly healed, thanks to some PT and rest, and have been pretty steady back on GB for the past few weeks.

I'm 33, and until recently have been bicycling nearly every day for the past 8 years. I was a pedicab driver in Seattle, then rode my bike down the Pacific Coast...and I haven't owned a car since 2009. I also am a computer nerd. So suffice to say, my legs, hips and shoulders are way tight. Doing the front & middle splits and thoracic bridge series is a revelation to my poor body - wow! I'm loving the work.

However, I notice that my low back continues to be tight and somewhat painful most days. I have injured it a few times in the same way - first back in 2009, then again in 2013 and a couple times since then. A couple times were during weighted deadlifts or squats (was doing Starting Strength protocol for 4 months in early 2013), but sometimes it's just gone out for no apparent reason. The issue seems to be related to posterior pelvic tilt, from extreme hamstring, glute, hip and quad tightness.

I've been doing RKC plank, vertical shin and glute bridges in the morning to help engage my core and fix my PPT. Stretching rectus femoris in particular seems to really help. However, the Core series seems to aggravate it, so I've been skipping that work lately, although I know I need it. It just feels dangerous.

Do any of you body wizards have some advice for me, perhaps supplemental mobility work for glutes and IT band or other insight into correcting cycling overuse? And a way to ease into the Core work?

Thanks in advance,

Jesse

Edited by Jesse French

Isak Tougaard

If I were you I would get a massage or physical therapist (the hands on kind) to sort it out. When they do, pay attention to what areas and points they are working on, ask a lot of questions about why they do what they do, and then make a daily habit out of massaging trigger points in the problem muscles with an acupressure/lacrosse ball.

That fixed my lower back pain a few years ago.

Just for the record, exactly what problems do you experience when doing the core workout?

.. and if you want the input of a master body wizard, ask @Wesley Tan

Best of luck with your GB journey and fixing that back!

Edited by Isak Tougaard
  • Upvote 1

Jesse French

Thanks Isak! Sound advice. Money is an issue, I don't have comprehensive health insurance...but I will make it a priority. Plus I need to find a PT who I trust - the first one I went to seemed a little green.

I experience pain in my right psoas (feels like), especially when doing hip circles. My notes say it hits when I move my hips anti-clockwise, as hips start to go back from left side. Also when doing tuck-ups. I suspect tight psoas, pulling on the lumbar vertebrae, is a cause of my back pain - and I suspect my psoas is (are?) angry because everything is tight, keeping them tight.

Edited by Jesse French

Isak Tougaard

Hmm.. If you live near a university or some facility where PT's or other bodyworkers are trained, you might be able to get half price discount on student practice sessions. Ask for one that is supervised by a teacher since your problem is complex, I know people who have done that (in Denmark though, may work differently where you live).

If you know what the pain stems from, a baseball/lacrosse ball can take you far for cheap. I swear my travelroller is the best 100$ I ever spent. It paid for itself within the month I got it.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Jesse French said:

Thanks Isak! Sound advice. Money is an issue, I don't have comprehensive health insurance...but I will make it a priority. Plus I need to find a PT who I trust - the first one I went to seemed a little green.

I experience pain in my right psoas (feels like), especially when doing hip circles. My notes say it hits when I move my hips anti-clockwise, as hips start to go back from left side. Also when doing tuck-ups. I suspect tight psoas, pulling on the lumbar vertebrae, is a cause of my back pain - and I suspect my psoas is (are?) angry because everything is tight, keeping them tight.

the pain you refer can be the psoas sliding over the bursae, typical of tight psoas tissue. you should do any type of psoas stretch with posterior pelvic tilt!

Marko Sekulic

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I did not even know it existed, but recently I hear and read a lot of importance of a psoas muscle, so can you name 1 (or more) best strengthening exercise and 1 (or more) best strech exercise for this muscle?

Me knowing me, because psoas muscle is so important, I probably have both, tight and week one...

Thanks,

Marko.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Marko, any type of V-ups variations is used to improve its strength. any type of lunge stretch variations. The GB front split course has good variations.

Marko Sekulic

Ohh, okey...good, I am doing both, V-ups and FS course, so I guess it will get better over time...yup, I am quite terrible in vertical shin streches. 

But I was thinking that it has something in common with pancake work, because it connects legs with lower back, if I understood right...and I am even worse in that position...

Thank you Alessandro.

Tyler Thornton

Jesse,

I've found the info in Petra's post on fixing posture helpful in reducing my lower back pain.

Jesse French

Hey @Tyler Thornton thanks for that link! Great info there.

This morning after my upper body GB workout, I did 60s vertical shin on each side, 1x15 bench hip raise (will increase sets), and 1x45s RKC plank (will also increase sets / duration). My back felt immediately better and continues to feel good today (even after helping my housemate lift and move a washing machine into our place :)).

I think with that, and reading Petra's results, I am dedicated to doing this work daily to activate my core, keep quads and hip flexors mobile, and fix my APT.

@Isak Tougaard thanks for that rec - I typically foam roll a few times a week, usually before bed, as I find that sometimes muscle soreness / tightness can keep me awake. I'm recommitting to doing this every night, even when tired, as it really helps my sleep, and reduce soreness the next day. I find that typically there are areas in my glutes / posterior of my pelvis, as well as all around my thighs that are tight and love to be released in this way.

@Alessandro Mainente thanks for that info on psoas pain! Do you think GB Unlimited coursework (esp. FS) is enough to stretch psoas or should I be doing additional work?