Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the right balance? Cross training + Fundamentals

Sean Murphy

Sean Murphy

I enjoy cardio, running probably 10-15 miles a week. I rock climb 1-2x a week. Lift weights ~2x a week.  This is "normal" for me.  I am wondering... is this way too much to do while retraining the body in the fundamental series? I am totally on board to scale back activities if it would be beneficial in the long run.  However, I am very hesitant to just stop doing all cardio or weight lifting.  It is counter intuitive to stop these activities... as I spend enough time sitting around. And if a lot of these fundamental exercises should be done in small amounts at first, it just seems like its not enough movement on its own to maintain some fitness... but maybe people have similar experiences and can share some advice?   What is appropriate activity level? As it seems like most people are not going to solely do 1 program if they enjoy other activities, so whats the smart way to go about it?  If there is somewhere else to read about this LMK.  I saw a few posts regarding weight lifting and gymnastics bodies, but I wonder as well whats the rule with the cardio, or other sports... 

Thanks for any help,

Sean

Hey Sean... I've been doing GST for over two years now. I do the Foundations (C, UB & LB each twice a week over four days), all three stretch series one day a week, and Handstand 1 & 2 three times a week. I play soccer a couple of times a week and normally will do 2 or 3 cardio and 2 or 3 HIIT workouts a week. I cycle on weekends to boot. I've been off with shoulder bursitis the past 4 weeks but am working my way back to pre-injury GST levels. Missed it a bunch while off the past month. 

I'd say keep doing what you're doing. If you're eating and sleeping well, let your body and energy levels guide you. And if you have the time to do everything else while prioritising GST, go for it. I just turned 60 and have no problem with the workout load I keep these days.

Bill

• Like 1

Isak Tougaard

I would continue with your current schedule and add Fundamentals to that. In the end of Fundamentals, you get a mobility routine to be done daily, or and as a warmup before harder GST workouts. It's about 10 minutes long, no hard conditioning.

Going forward to Foundation and Stretch series, depending on your goals you may want to switch things up.

If you want more accurate advice from the coaches on scheduling, tell us more about your goals with GST? Agility for climbing? Nagging pains from overuse training you want to get rid off? Gains in absolute strength?

Edited by Isak Tougaard

Alessandro Mainente
On 27/7/2018 at 6:35 PM, Sean Murphy said:

I enjoy cardio, running probably 10-15 miles a week. I rock climb 1-2x a week. Lift weights ~2x a week.  This is "normal" for me.  I am wondering... is this way too much to do while retraining the body in the fundamental series? I am totally on board to scale back activities if it would be beneficial in the long run.  However, I am very hesitant to just stop doing all cardio or weight lifting.  It is counter intuitive to stop these activities... as I spend enough time sitting around. And if a lot of these fundamental exercises should be done in small amounts at first, it just seems like its not enough movement on its own to maintain some fitness... but maybe people have similar experiences and can share some advice?   What is appropriate activity level? As it seems like most people are not going to solely do 1 program if they enjoy other activities, so whats the smart way to go about it?  If there is somewhere else to read about this LMK.  I saw a few posts regarding weight lifting and gymnastics bodies, but I wonder as well whats the rule with the cardio, or other sports... 

Thanks for any help,

Sean

Hearing your schedule....probably you MUST do a lot of mobility because you activity creates a lot of tension. the stretch series should be the first choice.

• Like 1

Andy Desak 36466

OP... I think this is a question only YOU can answer. Everyone's body is different... we don't know how YOUR body feels after X amount of training. Trial and error, brother!

• Upvote 1