Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best way to get my HeSPUs?

Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen

Hello,

My primary goal right now is to do headstand pushups, against a wall because I can't hold an unsupported handstand. I'm getting closer but haven't made much progress for a while so I wanted your opinions.

Right now, I can hold a wall handstand for about a minute. I can also lower about halfway and hold that position for several seconds. It seems to be the bottom half of the movement that I'm struggling with.

There seem to be several ways to work on it. I've been doing slow negatives and trying to pause a couple of times on the way down. I also sometimes do partial reps and I do some pike pushups on Saturday. Coach Summer mentioned the value of just holding handstands but isn't that kind of an isometric exercise that works the range that I'm already strongest in? What about doing some military presses with weights to supplement the holding handstands?

Does anyone have any suggestions? How many days per week would be optimal? What other presses could I work that won't interfere with headstand pushups training, maybe dips?

Thanks

I didn't have much luck with static HS, I could hold for 2 minutes and still couldn't keep tension at the bottom of a negative. I'm using partial ROM where I lower my head down to a stack of books and then progressively remove books until I reach the floor. I'm sticking with the same ROM for 8 weeks before moving lower but then I progress slowly on this exercise for some reason. Coach recommends 4 weeks in his book.

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Hansen
For the next training cycle, my recommendation is that you focus on Box HeSPU.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I'll do that, thanks.

Quick question though,

In my last couple of workouts I tried pike pushups with my feet on a chair, would this work? I ask because I might have trouble finding a horizontal surface of the right height to do the Box HeSPUs as described in the book.

Thanks

Coach Sommer

Possibly; work with it and see. You may also try using a table or counter in place of a box for the Box HeSPU.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris Hansen
Possibly; work with it and see. You may also try using a table or counter in place of a box for the Box HeSPU.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks!