Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jumping rope barefooted

Saquib Rahman

Saquib Rahman

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on jumping rope barefooted?

It feels better to me when jumping rope barefooted than wearing a shoe (I wear boxing shoes when I do). Probably because I am used to running barefooted from when I was a kid (football/soccer on all surfaces, didn't always carry my boots with me) until 7 years ago when I moved to the UK. Just starting to get back into fitness again now.

I keep hearing from a friend that it is bad for my joints, not because I'm overweight (101kg @ 25% body fat if anyone is curious), but for the impact. I thought small amounts of impact were good for training the joints and muscles to rebound? I remembering hearing Coach Sommer speak about how our bones, contrary to popular belief, are actually meant to bend (to some degree) to absorb shock and immediately rebound back (Tim Ferris Show). I am not doing anything too explosive, no double-unders, and going at a slow pace (just started jumping rope after a few years).

Must I wear shoes? I know I am whining at this point as it is easy enough to just wear shoes lol, but I thought if being barefooted is beneficial in any way whilst being more comfortable for me, it is a win-win.

• Like 1

Jennifer Marie

This isn't my area of expertise by any means, but I like to jump barefoot to feel the foot and ankle moving properly. I've never noticed any adverse effects, other than it sure does hurt when I hit my toe with a speed rope. I wouldn't think the impact would be a problem if you are jumping properly. (But again, not a gymnastics coach or physio.)

Sounds crazy, not knowing how to jump properly? I liken it to running... Heel strikers wouldn't be able to run barefoot because they're slamming into their heels, but sprinters could do so with less wear and tear on the body because of the way the "brush" the ground with their stride. Are your jumps with a rope light and springy, or do you stiffly stomp your way through them? I don't mean that to sound mean... and there are many grey areas in between the two, but I had to relearn how to jump rope and be light on my feet in doing so. It made the exercise much more enjoyable when I did.

Saquib Rahman

Thanks for the input :)

I'd say it is more towards light side, not springy. Never dropping on the heels so no stomping. Also I am going quite slow (average 1 to 1.5 jumps per second) as I am relearning it after years of no conditioning and have yet to get the rhythm perfectly in sync.

• 3 months later...

I jump rope barefoot all the time.   The main risk is if you mess up the timing and hit your bare foot with the rope, which can hurt like heck, as remarked above.   Just like with barefoot running, if you transition from wearing a shoe all your life and then jump rope or run without the body to adapt first, there can be an issue, I imagine.  Like Katy Bowman says, if you have worn shoes all your life to run (or jump rope), it is like you have been wearing a cast or aide, and the foot, ankle, etc, is not ready to go full tilt without the cast or aid.    Jump roping on concrete may prove challenging without proper conditioning and adaption.   I usually jump rope on martial art mats (Swain) on concrete; I do not have a sprung floor.   However, plywood or an upside down piece of carpet may work, too.   

I am wondering if there isn't some footage of Muay Thai fighters jump roping barefoot.   

• 3 weeks later...

Been jumping rope barefoot in Muay Thai and boxing for years. It s nice on a floor with some bounce like a boxing ring. Some recreate it with a big wooden plank between two 4x4.

A soft floor like thin gym mats is nice too. Thick soft ones make jumping harder as it takes more effort.

Concrete floor does not feel great w/o shoes, esp if it s cold and as mentioned before when you hit your then icy toes for the third time in row. 

Other than that: nothing against jumping rope barefoot. I'd recommend to always stay on your toes and bounce twice as you switch between left and right foot once you've got jumping with both feet heels closed down again. There's more to add on later on.