Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Minimal Weightlifting

Antonio Alías Montoya

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi everyone, 

I ve been considering starting some weightlifting training along with GST. I d like to know which are the minimal mandatory movements to train and how many sets. My guess is Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, some kind if row and overheadpress (but I can t work the last one because of restricted mobility), 3 to 4 sets, once a week. What you people think?

I want to keep it simple and minimal.

And one more question, is the squat the best exercise to build glutes? Is there a better one or some other good alternative? I d like to build glutes minimizing quad hipertrophy.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Antonio, with once a week you cannot expect to produce great results simply because a decent programming requires at least twice a week. the standard bill star's schedule of 5x5 is fine but soon or after you will get a plateau for the same reason I cited above.

Working the glutes is something you can do with back squat with more hip hinge and a normal feet stance.

the shinbone should be as vertical as possible. the more you want to work the butt the more the hip hinge is necessary the more the weight will stress the lower back.

• Like 1

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente. More hip hinge will definetely stress more the lower back. So you think once a week GST plus once a week weightlifting wont lead to good results? Then one has to choose because is not possible for me to train 3 times a week the same muscle group.

Alessandro Mainente

IN the long terms the body will improve on one thing at time. that's for sure. you can evaluate smething like as follow:

training A : GST. training B : weigthlifting

week 1: day 1 (A), day 2 (B), day 3 (A)

week2 : day 1 (B), day 2 (A), day 3 (B)

in this way you are rotating the sessions so that you can train both.

• Like 1