Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with overuse injury

Alexander Ketterling

Alexander Ketterling

Hey there,

i was until Tuesday this week training for fundamental gymnastic movements as described in the BtGB book. I overdid it with my volume and was stupid. On Tuesday i was feeling discomfort to light pain on the inner elbow (distal biceps tendon) when doing adv. tuck front levers. It was already too late of course, i went to the doc yesterday, he said it is an overuse injury of the biceps tendon, i should rest this week and slowly get back into sport next week gradually increasing volume and workload. Currently i`m following his prescription and resting till next week.

I´m finally at the point of being tired sitting in the dark about programming and risk of injury. so i decided to start Foundations 1 and Handstand 1, when i get back to training. 

I`ve learned alot of stuff from this forum and would love to hear a second opinion about my situation from the mods here. Is it possible in my situation to start F1 and H1 if i start slowly (my flexibility and mobility isn`t the best so i will probably have to work on that alot in the start anyways) or should i take another rehab approach ?

To clear up i don`t have any pain or discomfort throughout the day, only when training with a sufficient enough intensity. Thank`s for the answers in advance.

with best regards

Alexander Ketterling

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alexander, the first goal is healing the temporary injury. this means no stretch or exercises involving the elbows flexion is completely gone. then begin the F1 work.

remember that the primary problem of overuse exercises is that the section/joint injured is too weak.

• Like 1

Alexander Ketterling

Thank you for your quick answer. So you suggest resting for like 2 weeks, then testing if i get any pain or discomfort and if i don't i can start with F1 otherwise more rest? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Alexander,

We recommend to wait until your injury is healed before starting any programs. Most importantly is that you don’t do any movements that are causing you pain. I suggest to get an in person diagnosis from a physio or other medical professional is the pain persist

Alessandro Mainente
On 18/5/2018 at 10:14 PM, Alexander Ketterling said:

Thank you for your quick answer. So you suggest resting for like 2 weeks, then testing if i get any pain or discomfort and if i don't i can start with F1 otherwise more rest? 

AT LEAST in the daily activities like work you do not have to show any type of pain.

Nick Murray

See a physio. If it is a tendon injury, complete rest will not help it.

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Nick Murray said:

See a physio. If it is a tendon injury, complete rest will not help it.

it depends on the level of the problem, in case of tendinosis a bit more of rest can be a solution. in case of tendinopaty, the full rest is not recommended.