Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Caveats when using doorway pull-up bar

Jerh Shyang Cheng

Jerh Shyang Cheng

Dear all,

This might be irrelevant to gymnastic related content. Please be extremely careful when you are using a portal door way pull up bar. This picture is what it has gotten me to when I was doing Korean dip. I had no time to respond and smashed my face directly on the ground!

Mikey Cunanan

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your accident, Jerh. I wish you a speedy recovery.

And thanks for sharing this warning to the community. We are sure others will take caution before using a doorway pull up bar.

Ouch. Sorry to hear this. Also for the Korean dip specifically, even doing on a regular straight bar, I was warned it's likely to lose grip and crash face down. The closer the bar is to the ground, the less time you have to react. I suggest a crash mat regardless if you are not familiar with korean dip.

• Like 1

Jerh Shyang Cheng
On 5/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, Jin Liu said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear this. Also for the Korean dip specifically, even doing on a regular straight bar, I was warned it's likely to lose grip and crash face down. The closer the bar is to the ground, the less time you have to react. I suggest a crash mat regardless if you are not familiar with korean dip.

Well I guess I learnt my lesson the hard way. I could have saved my face if it were another variation of dip, but since my hands were behind my hand I was caught off guard and nothing could be done.

Pauline Taube

Ouch, Sorry to hear about your accident as well. I hope you’ll get better soon and get your tooth fixed!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, Jin Liu said:

Point well made. I'll look up options for this. 

On 5/5/2018 at 1:06 PM, Jerh Shyang Cheng said:

Well I guess I learnt my lesson the hard way. I could have saved my face if it were another variation of dip, but since my hands were behind my hand I was caught off guard and nothing could be done.

So how did you move further on this? Different bar(s) and Crash mat? 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:08 AM, Nick Murray said:

Please read this.

Will look this up. Thanks. 

Matthew Walker

Ignore all the warnings about concrete walls. It's not correct. I've been fastening things to masonry, wood, and metal for decades. A hollow cinder block wall with anchors can support thousands of pounds.