Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hard work!

Christopher Hancox

Christopher Hancox

Hi,

I have recently started a new project of building my own house. 2 weeks in and I'm realising I am not putting myself in the best position to perform maximally in my workouts, as I tend to workout in the early evening after a day's work. The work is currently quite heavy going, lots of lifting and moving things around, and I expect it to be like this for at least 6 months.

What can I do to make sure I keep a good balance in my muscles, as I'm aware that there is going to be some muscles that are now getting used over time. 

My initial plan is to keep my daily limber and add some specific mobility work every morning and evening for affected muscles. As for workouts, I'm not really sure what I should do. What should I prioritise? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wow! I haven't done any construction work, but i can imagine how physically demanding that can be. If I were you, i'd be less concerned about keeping up with my regular strength training while the construction is going heavy. Daily limbering, and mobility work on the tight muscles after a day of heavy work sounds great. I think it's better to do the type of workout that helps you recover instead of taxing more the muscles. You also just started doing the construction, right? Or are you pretty accustomed to the type of work? If this is your first time doing heavy construction work, I'd definitely let the body to adapt to that first. Later when you feel construction has become a non-taxing routine work for you, then add more strength training. The last thing you want is having sore and tired muscles that can make your construction work unsafe for you.

• Like 1

Christopher Hancox

I used to be pretty accustomed to this type of work. I have just taken a year or so off after my last project, which is when I found GB to help with staying better balanced and mobile. 

Hopefully I can approach this project with a bit more knowledge of how my body is reacting and act accordingly.

Everett Carroll

I've been through this as well, working physical jobs and training in the evening. For the first month, I just got a feel for my new recovery needs and did what Jin suggested: I focused on mobility and injury prevention while maintaining GST strength. After that period, I just reduced the steps/workload a bit but kept up with my training goals. Progress was a bit slower but I didn't get hurt and hey, progress is progress. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1