Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAND'S POINTS OF CONTACT IN HANDSTAND

Gabriele Cremonesi

Gabriele Cremonesi

Hi every one, 

I'm new in the forum, I'm Gabriele from Italy.

I have one question for you, actually in handstand my hands have only 2 points of contacts ( the palm and the fingertips, my hands form a lock  ) but in many video I saw that many people have 3 points of contact ( the palm, first finger joints and the fingertips).ruka-na-zemi-ve-stojce-diagram-1024x768.thumb.jpg.b531f27ea9ae80b72f1c87dfb87c2f62.jpg

What do you think about that ? My method isn't correct ? Or 3 points of contacts are better than 2? 

Many thanks guys

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Gabriele, I'm a bit more advanced on handstand and training for one arm handstand.

When you begin to understand how to properly protract and externally rotate the upper arm the weight moves on the red parts of the hands, the only blue one is the point where the weight is less perceived...I can barely feel the pressure over there. Also with the time, I noticed that the pressure under the lower middle and ring finger tends to progressively decrease.

verticale.png

When incomplete shoulder mobility is presented is practically impossible feeling the weight as I described.

This reflects how a very good handstand takes off a lot of pressure from the radial position of the wrists.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee

I loooooooooove this answer @Alessandro Mainente…  I am now playing around a little bit with free-standing handstands and have been struggling with figuring out how to engage my hands/fingers and forearms for re-balancing… when I feel I have a longer float, that's where I feel I have to pressure, like you have in the picture… this is great!!!! Encouraging to me  that I am  focusing  on the right thing… thank you, even though I am not the original poster. 

Gabriele Cremonesi

Many thanks @Alessandro Mainente, you're always detailed in you're answers! I think I should work on the technique of the handstand, because now with my method, I do it with strenght and not technique. Many thanks