• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Balance

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

Slizzer,

its a combination of two factors:

1. As the coach noted, extensive active stretching needs to be done along with extreme strength work or else, you will get less and less flexible. This adaptation to high level strength work is simple - the body wants to become more efficient in what it does.

For example, one of my problems to achieve a fully open shoulder angle was my constant practice of one arm chin ups. I feel in order to maintain this ability my shoulder joint 'wants' to remain tight and rigid -then it is much more efficient in chinning. My observation of climbers and aerialists further proves this point - they always have tight shoulders and problems in their handstand work. (which they do occasionaly, as all circus people do)

Having said that, it does not mean one cannot achieve both to a large extent, but serious time and work needs to be invested in active stretching if one wants to maintain or improve this aspect along with high end strength training.

2. From asthetic perspective a muscular guy will always have a problem. Whether it is capoeira, wushu, dance or free form movement it looks more articulated, free, flowing and expressive with long limbed, less muscular people. I need to make an extra effort to fully articulate motions and perform them in a larger ROM in order to remain expressive to the same degree as those lanky individuals. My girlfriend for example, (a professional dancer) is my exact opposite. She is taller than me, thin and long. Now the good side of the coin is that I have and always had a very easy time with strength, balance, agility.

I have tried for periods of time to become this thin-longer guy. I stopped strength training and tried to do everything I feel is right and essential to a human, even long distance running (!). It resulted in depression and injuries. I realized, this is not in my nature.

Ido.

Joshua Naterman

Thanks for the answer! That makes a lot of sense, some people are simply better equipped for certain pursuits. You certainly do an excellent job of remaining expressive with your movements!

Ido,

will you post dates of your workshops somewhere?

I'd love to participate, if time and money permit.

Great video! Your one handed handstands improved very much since your last video.

John Sapinoso

ooh yes, i'm interested in this too, especially if it's in south east asia!

Marcelo Lara

I've watched this video 3 times. It doesn't bother me, I like it more and more. I want to achieve something like that!

And the music it's not bad... in fact, it sounds in my head when I walk in the street :) What kind of music is that, Ido?

Thanks for the video!

Guest Ido Portal

Thanks, Marcelo.

The music is by Krishna Das. I love it and use it often when I am training flow or balance.

Ido.

• 2 weeks later...

Simply: Wow.

Ido, the video is truly amazing, as well as your physique.

Ido continues to be, for me the most interesting person on the forum(no offense to anyone else). Ido's posts are always very insightful and informative, he seems to have a true grasp of who he is and what he wants, without ever giving too much away. A friend of mine who also frequents the forum, though he doesn't post, had a conversation about Ido recently. He seems to live "the life" we decided. I just want to know, not necessarily through a post on this thread or forum at all, what exactly do you do for a living, Ido? I mean no offense by this, I am just infinitely interested in your work and lifestyle. Hope this is not too weird haha.

Keep up the good work.

Guest Ido Portal

Steven,

I will get back to you when I will figure that one out..

Seriously, I am really busy with being a citizen of the world.

Ido.

Ha! Alright, I get it. My fault for prying. Thanks for the video anyway and keep sharing, Ido.

Guest Ido Portal

Steven, no prying, my friend.

I started training in the martial arts and various sports at a young age.

At age 15 I got to Capoeira. At 16 I was in Brazil already training for a couple of months. I became obsessed.

I started teaching at 17, after I have received my instructor belt.

At 20 I built my first training center.

At 24 I built my second training center, a big two floor facility with a 150 square meter studio that also transforms into an acrobatics floor and a lower sports specific hardcore gym. (Squat racks, gymnastics rings, Kettle bells, plates, Olympic bars, etc..)

I have participated and led students into competition in the national and international level in various disciplines. (Not only Capoeira)

I have built along the way a private training clinic in my gym and created my strength and conditioning methodolegy I call 'Vires'. Big influences are our own Coach Christopher Sommer, Coach Charles Poliquin, (another mentor of mine whom I have been following for many years now, consulted in person and took seminars from) and other leading coaches whos names wont tell you much.

I have participated in TV, cinema,poster and other commercial campaigns as a sports model and acrobat and brought my art and movement into the media countless times.

At the last 5 years I have been teaching internationally - quite extensively.

Over the last year I have been invited to work in Germany with a local company and to bring my movement into the stage.

After the first project I also traveled to Asia to create a second show there.

Now I am back here in Europe, teaching (as I always do) and performing in a yet another project.

At mid-Aug I will be arriving at the US for a big tour of workshops - all over the place from LA, LV, Portland, SF, NY, AZ, Washington, etc...

That's it, my friend. No mystery, just living the life and enjoying movement, research, art, strength, skill.

Thank you for your interest and kind words, its always a big pleasure to receive such attention from people.

Ido.

Alvaro Antolinez

Hi Ido , I can´t find info about your seminars in Europe on your web. Where can I find info?

Wow, Ido, thanks very much. I have bene investigating your blog from the oldest posts to the newest and really enjoy the daily "Floreio" workouts. I would like to get the one arm handstand but it seems I lack the technical know-how to make it happen. I'll keep trying though.

Your first training center built at 20? I wish I could figure out how to get that kind of thing going. I have the passion, but once again, lack the knowledge.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I anticipate watching your website/blog grow and hope that I can one day "live the life" as well. Keep it up!

Guest Ido Portal

Hansenator, Omegant, contact me through email. It appears at the end of the balance workshop clip.

Steven, you answered yourself, my friend. Get the knowledge, apply to yourself and others and the rest will take care of itself.

By 20 years old, I had 120 students training under me, it was only natural to open my own space. But those 120 were training with me because they were making progress in every aspect of the game.

There are no really complex things in this world. Understand the process and apply.

Ido.

Living my dream life there Ido..well pretty much at least :P Gotta say I've always wondered what events brought you to your success, and I'm loving the blogposts.

Joshua Naterman

There are no really complex things in this world. Understand the process and apply.

Ido.

I agree. People think I'm crazy when I say this, but it's so true. Even the process isn't that hard to learn. Find out from people who have already accomplished, the successful often love to share knowledge with those who are clearly motivated and capable of using said knowledge.

• 4 months later...
Thanks, Marcelo.

The music is by Krishna Das. I love it and use it often when I am training flow or balance.

Ido.

Just saw the video.. You are seriously inspiring...(Im nowhere within light years)

Seriously..? Thats the Hanuman Chalisa... Divine.. Devotion.. (You associated with Iskcon?)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... &q=hanuman

PS: Wanted to bug you about something Ido, whats the best way to get a response from you? Should I just post a new thread here?

Incredible video! Ido, what are your suggestions for building pressing strength from the ground up. My handstand holds and lowering down to a headstand from a handstand (freestanding) is solid for me (even in an extended range), but I am still having trouble building the strength pressing from the ground up. I am particularly interested in learning that press you were doing from the 'upward dog-type' position and wish to strengthen freestanding HSPU strength in general.

Indy, Ido is a busy guy and he makes his living by answering questions like the one you just asked. He does not have time to read every forum and help everyone for free :) There is however plenty of information on the forum that should help you out.

Joshua Naterman
Incredible video! Ido, what are your suggestions for building pressing strength from the ground up. My handstand holds and lowering down to a headstand from a handstand (freestanding) is solid for me (even in an extended range), but I am still having trouble building the strength pressing from the ground up. I am particularly interested in learning that press you were doing from the 'upward dog-type' position and wish to strengthen freestanding HSPU strength in general.

Um, you mean the chest rolls? Do you have the book? They are in there.

Joshua Naterman

The book will DEFINITELY be a huge, huge tool in learning what you want. You really can't do much if you don't know what the exercise progressions are.