Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Balance

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

Below is a recent clip I have made from some random trainings I did in Thailand during the last couple of months.

I give various types of workshops around the world, but one of the more popular ones is my balance workshop. (As it is one of my personal 'obsessions')

Important to say I am not an ex-gymnast, circus artist or professional handbalancer. I am just a artist/trainer with a scientific approach to training and a lot of love for movement. Enjoy:

wwIqDuJXAME

Ido.

Mikael Kristiansen

Excellent work. Your 1 arm handstands are very very good. For not being a proffesional in the field, that is great. I know a lot of handbalancers who have less control on 1 arm on the floor than you have. I have seen some of your handbalancing videos from before and it seems like you made a lot of progress. You seem to have a really strong upper body, so I would recommend you to work on flag positions as I think you can progress quickly on them.

Again, great work!

Neal Winkler

Ido, you have amazing control and strength! I hope that some day I attain half the skills you have.

irongymnast

Ido, thank you for the video, I like your dynamic strength stuff very much (I'm training those as well). A lot of control and discipline. It shows that you're very dedicated to your work.

What I don't like in your videos is the music that accompanies it. :)

Are there progressions/tutorials for attaining the one arm handstands?

And yeah, if you ever do a workshop in Greece, I'll come.

Guest Ido Portal

Guys, thanks a lot for your comments.

Irongymnast, I will make sure to start to do some work on my music choices. Not. Interestingly, it is one thing that I recieve huge amount of comments on whether through email, youtube or facebook, but they are completely opposite to yours... I guess to each his own taste.

Ido.

I don't care about your music :)

Just love to watch your videos :D It's always amazing to watch you moving on your hands like it was the most natural thing to do!

John Sapinoso

love the air baby to one arm handstand, love the music, and i also like your shirt haha

1:34, one place where paddling might actually make a skill harder.

Guest Ido Portal

Tsunnaman,

you got it right about the shirt.... I bought 5 of those in Bangkok... :) I dont know if you can see, but there is a small monkey logo on the left chest area. Love it.

In those days that I wish I had no muscles at all, (not kidding) I always put on a long sleeve T when I train. It makes me feel smaller... well, to each his own madness.

Ido.

Great Stuff. I continue to work on the material presented in your tutorials. Ever come by California? I would love to attend a workshop.

Yeah that video is really cool! After watching it, I went to do some HSPU and actually busted through a little "plateu" in my training! :D

Ido, can you share some more of this "Anti-muscle-Philosophy" of yours? Hows it coming you feel like that, when alot of people are desperately trying to put on muscle mass? hahaha

Animalonfire

Ido, can you share some more of this "Anti-muscle-Philosophy" of yours? Hows it coming you feel like that, when alot of people are desperately trying to put on muscle mass? hahaha

http://forum.idoportal.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81

Misconceptions that the article (in the thread) goes over as far as I can tell.

Personally I'm a fan of the floreio and the music, I'd love to get my hands on Ido's ipod.... What sort of music would you use Irongymnast?

irongymnast

There are also people that don't want a bigger frame and just strive in acquiring greater strength, myself included. Strength alone is not enough for me. I also want/train agility, balance, flexibility, etc. People interested in building their body more than accomplishing drills and feats are more BB in my head, whereas the others are more gymnasts. I love gymnastics and knowing how my body works.

I weigh 1-2 kg less than last year, my arms are bigger and I'm stronger.

http://forum.idoportal.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81

Misconceptions that the article (in the thread) goes over as far as I can tell.

Personally I'm a fan of the floreio and the music, I'd love to get my hands on Ido's ipod.... What sort of music would you use Irongymnast?

Well for what he does I think that the music is appropriate, I just don't like it. But again I don't like capoeira or floreio, their music or philosophy (I respect other people's choices though). I love 'self dominance' (I strive in getting the max control out of every single muscle in my body) though. I just train/follow it in a totally different way. For the D&D fans out there, it's like the paladin and the ranger. Same goals (??), different paths.

I am highly energetic and I enjoy bursts of energy, so this kind of music (or way to express yourself) makes me sleepy/bored (I listen to rock and metal btw). I also like classical music.

The choice of music is not important (I can mute the clip).

I admire his strength, skill, diligence, dedication, knowledge etc.

It was an offtopic comment, just for teasing/adding some spice to the post.

Thumbs up on the vid, great stuff and very impressive! :D Ido I've always wondered what level is your ring strength at? Do you have any videos of a rings workout, or do you not really work on the rings?

Guest Ido Portal

I used to work some ring strength until about a year ago.

I was able to do an Iron Cross, and played around with various elements, I like it a lot.

I stopped due to a couple of reasons:

1. I became too big. My arms just exploded. Now I am back to a more normal body weight.

You dont want to see me when I was doing rings.

2. I had to concentrate my efforts on other physical areas that I work with. I have so many things to train, it wasnt possible to continue to play with the rings any more.

Having said that, I am sure I will be back to some ring work in the future. My girlfriend doesnt like it one bit, but I love the challange they provide...

Ido.

Respect for the strength levels! can't imagine your body if it was bigger, that's insane. Respect! :twisted:

Great stuff Ido,

your videos always inspire me to train and get better.

Does anyone have any links for balence work, i'd like to look into it a bit more?

Guest Ido Portal

Obliques, I believe this is genetics, really.

Also, many years of high volume kicking doesnt hurt, and it is known that capoeiristas have heavy obliques. (They call it 'the capoeira muscle')

One arm Air Baby and one arm side flags are very demanding on the obliques, both from a stretching and strength POV.

Ido.

Richard Duelley

Very cool! It is now a Favorite and I posted it on my facebook so all my friends can finally see who this 'Ido' guy I keep talking about is lol :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

Iron: LOL @ D&D! Ah, the things you see here. My best friend is actually putting together a module right now. Fun stuff!

Ido: I know the full ROM floor HSPU aren't the most technically demanding thing you do, but man... that's awesome. I am going to be very excited when I can do that. If you ever do a workshop in the Southeast US please post a notice here, because I'd love to come learn.

Also, did you find that the extra size from ring work was getting in the way of your capoeira or floreio? It seems as if that might be what you were referring to when you said you were getting too big, but I'm curious to know what you actually meant.