Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L4 L5 Disc herniation and GB

Darren Rea

Hi,

I have a verified disc herniation in L4 L5 of the lumbar spine. Took me 12 months to recover to a level where I could play sport again. I've been managing it for 8 years now, with a relapse here and there. 

I was wondering if anyone else in here is silly enough to attempt GB with the same chronic injuries? I would love to hear your experiences and tips. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Darren,

Many of our students and staff have experienced similar back injuries and have found that the exercises in our courses are a great aid in the healing process. I, myself, experienced a spinal fracture between my L4 and L5 several years ago, but the exercises in the Foundation Courses have been a huge help in my recovery.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Zachariah Collett

I found GB because of my injuries and an Affilite owner Ashleigh Gass in Florida. She recommended I work on middle split immediately. I have 2 level herniation, spinal stenosis, degeneration throughout the lumbar spine. I hope you’ve found success since starting. I’m finding relief already in the first week. Best of luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
William ball

Hi darren iv a similar injury, 3 discs are wrecked plus si joint damage along with disc degeneration etc and thats exactly why I'm here. I just so happen to get ripped into a few of the foundations yesterday and then did the middle split routine. After the middle split, I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I'm in the least amount of pain iv been in for maybe 5 years.  All from a 45 minute follow along video. I work a very physically demanding job so iv just had to grin and bare every day for many years but I'm now hopeful I might get a little relief. Hope you get the same results. 

• Like 1

Darren Rea

Thanks guys. 

I do particularly enjoy the middle splits, mostly because by the end of the session it doesn't feel like I've re-herniated a disc.

Never the less, I've had to pull out of GB in an attempt not to keep re-herniating the disc. I've re-herniated it 5 times in the last 7 months doing GB. Each one has been about 3-4 weeks recover. I usually say recovery is over then I feel like I can safely bend forward to pick up a sock off the floor (with bend knee s too).

Thanks for the tips though. All the best in your journey s.

William ball

holy crap thats not good man and I definitely feel your pain I know how frustrating that is. unless your just begin at week one day one fundamentals and take it from there. your soft tissue must be in bad knick. don't give up hope man I was told I might end up crippled but I'm iv been fighting back with rehab an rehab ever since and I'm defiantly getting better no question. Patience is the key as is watching inflammatory foods, drink and activity   smart choices. 

William ball

also 5 times in 7 months? man your not giving the soft tissue time to heal at all. you need to go way slower. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jennifer Marie

Have you considered talking with your physical therapist about what you're doing in GB? If certain movements/lessons irritate this problem, a good sports therapist can give you exercises to strengthen the weakness that might be causing it. I've had issues in the same areas, and I had to do some core prep before I could do even the first bent-leg hollow hold properly and without triggering pain in that area later in the day.

Good sports-specific physical therapists are hard to find. Your local CrossFit or weightlifting gym could probably recommend one though. We all know the good PTs in our area. :)

Nick Murray
On 10/07/2018 at 12:24 AM, William ball said:

also 5 times in 7 months? man your not giving the soft tissue time to heal at all. you need to go way slower. 

This. My opinion is that people are not patient enough.

One of the criticisms levelled against the GB approach is that it's "slow to see progress". IF, repeat, IF you have been injured, then slow and exploratory is the correct approach.

Of course there are people who can progress faster/recover more quickly. But back (and in my case, shoulder) injuries can take a long time to heal. My right shoulder was rebuilt in mid 2012 and left in mid 2013 (and not rotator cuff but the joint surfaces and joint capsules). I started GB in...late 2014 after maybe 15-18 months of light exercise. My right shoulder was still a bit unhappy with L sit bulgarian pullups four months ago (March 2018). It's now  ok with them.

Time, patience, intelligent work, listening to your body will get you through.

Robert Andersen

I herniated my L4 L5 and was in continuous pain for a decade. I finally flew out of state and had an endoscopic discectomy done. I went in for surgery and walked out the next day completely pain free...going on 8 years ago now. I tried every possible thing imaginable. Possibly the best decision I ever made in my life. Best of luck my friend...

• 2 weeks later...
Michael McDaniel

I have had back pain for 30+ years (lumbar, thoracic and cervical with arthritis plus some knee pain) in part due to martial arts from which I have now retired.  I'm 56 years young.  How do I start GB to see some results quickly?

• 4 weeks later...
Alison McGuire

I'm 6-7 years out from a L5-S1 bulge/mini-hernia + destabilized R sacroiliac (SI) joint.  Never had surgeries or shots.  LOTS of 'water under the bridge'.  Health/wellness is my hobby.

#1 foe is the mind.  Impatience.  Discouragement. Pushiness.  Negative self talk.  I've done it all.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, Michael McDaniel said:

I have had back pain for 30+ years (lumbar, thoracic and cervical with arthritis plus some knee pain) in part due to martial arts from which I have now retired.  I'm 56 years young.  How do I start GB to see some results quickly?

I would say that the quickest way to get results is patience multiplied by consistency.  I get injured when I try to hurry the results and ignore the feedback my body is giving me.   Ashleigh Gass recommended that I start with a month of just the Mobility plus stretching.  None of the strength work.  Slow the movements down and explore mindfully and with growing awareness.  If anything feels "off" or "odd" stop for the day and re-visit it another.  That can be your body telling you "not today".