Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 days/week = Overtraining?

Samuel Carr

Samuel Carr

So on mondays i do the pushing exercises from the BtGB book, tuesdays i go to a beginning gymnastics class at a gym where i mostly work on tumbling and do leg exercises, thursdays i work the core exercises from BtGB and friday I work pulling exercises from the book. All my workouts including stretching and warm-ups last about 2 hours. I just got asked by one of the male coaches at my gym if i'd want to start coming to another wednesday class with more advanced gymnasts where they mostly just practice and workout (more for fun tho, not an actual scheduled class) for about an hour at night. I was wondering if it'd be beneficial to attend, or would adding in this extra day (now only giving me 2 rest days) be overtraining?

Crimsoncross
So on mondays i do the pushing exercises from the BtGB book, tuesdays i go to a beginning gymnastics class at a gym where i mostly work on tumbling and do leg exercises, thursdays i work the core exercises from BtGB and friday I work pulling exercises from the book. All my workouts including stretching and warm-ups last about 2 hours. I just got asked by one of the male coaches at my gym if i'd want to start coming to another wednesday class with more advanced gymnasts where they mostly just practice and workout (more for fun tho, not an actual scheduled class) for about an hour at night. I was wondering if it'd be beneficial to attend, or would adding in this extra day (now only giving me 2 rest days) be overtraining?

I have a very similar question: is working out 6 days a week (and if you feel you can, every day), bad? How do the top gymnasts train? I've heard they train hours a day.

Nobody can tell you how much is to much for you. How much intesity, how good can you regenerate, ....

You can overtrain with 2 workouts per week or be detrained with 6 trainings per week.

It depends on your level of ability and conditioning.

If you're adding a lot of skill work it shouldn't be too bad.

It all depends on periodization.

Although I have problems with the word overtraining. Overtraining doesnt happen all that fast. you have to be sick or training all day every day for hours to get overtrained. Most peopel are just overreaching instead of overtraining.

I'd recommend going to the Wednesday training if you can. More time in a gym is better.

You may end up wanting to take off Thursday and workout again on Friday and Saturday. Play it by ear.

Samuel Carr

Okay. I was thinking of working out monday, tuesday, and then going to the gym wednesday too since it'd mostly be practicing technique an not conditioning. Then changing my rest day to thursday and then continuing for friday and saturday, then resting again on sundays.