Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Moving from GMB to GB

Joshua Stevens

Joshua Stevens

I am physically fit in terms of stength and endurance however my mobility leaves something to be desired. I completed GMB Elements and Paralletes alongsidetheir stretching program but it left me feeling a little empty. The workouts aren’t that intense and I didn’t see heaps of progress. I don’t feel any better than I didn’t prior to starting these  

I am am keen to start on GB having purchased HS1 previously and hoping for feedback from others that moved from GMB? I also understand that F1 is the prerequisite for everything but is it likely I’ll find this a little slow and boring?

Lastly is it vital for me to purchase a stretch program in order to see significant flexibility improvements in my hips and shoulders? If so, please advise. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Joshua, the more weak point you have the less you can move forward and faster. I do not know GMB programs sincerely But in the last 7 years I've found on GB an opportunity to build up my connective tissue, build up my HS my mobility and before all...be pain-free.

There is no perfect suggestions everything walk around your goal, and if you are not satisfied there is the refund possibility.

• Like 6

Hi Joshua, I did GMB before switched to GB. But to be honest I didn’t stay with GMB that long. Compared to GB, i feel it’s not as detailed and as progressive. I can’t tell exactly why, but I enjoy GB much more, and I have no trouble sticking with GB, which is not the case with GMB. But I still think GMB have nice programs and a nice community. 

Another thing, I feel I can go further in terms of physical strength and skill with GB. And I’m absolutely happy with the mastery standard they emphasize here (I don’t feel the same with GMB). 

I considered myself stronger and more mobile than average prior to starting GB (and GMB). But I learned to put my ego away with GB, really respect the basics, and stick to the standards. I’ve gotten much stronger and much more balanced than ever before. I don’t think you’d get bored with F1. And I highly recommend their stretch series too.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Hey Joshua. While I have no experience with GMB, I can second all of Jin's comments. I've been at GB for going on two years and have noticed major changes in my fitness level. It is particularly evident in the area of increased mobility. I have been doing all three of the stretch series for some time. I did my first-ever yoga class a few weeks ago. Not only did I not experience any post-workout soreness in the following days, I was significantly more mobile than even the instructor -- she was quite surprised especially given it was my first time.

Starting F1, depending on your present level of conditioning, you may find it easy. Don't be deceived. What starts out as "Is that all?" in the first few sessions, you quickly are brought down to earth and humbled. Our physical deficiencies don't hide in this program.

If you proceed with GB, go slow, take mastery seriously, use the coaching tools available (read and post in the forum regularly), and take the advice of guys like Alessandro (a fountain of knowledge). Follow the program and you will get results.

• Like 5

Joshua Stevens

Thanks for all of the input - I'll take plunge and move forward with GB.

It certainly seems that F1 and Stretch Series make a good combo however is it overkill if I add HS1 too?  I don't want my training to become too diluted so that progress is extremely slow.

• Like 1

Oussama KHELLADI

sincerely GST is very expensive compared to my country basic salary but to be honest its a treasure and i dont regret spending nearly 600 dollars on gst program

strength mobility skilss neuroscience GB rules XD 

6 hours ago, Joshua Stevens said:

Thanks for all of the input - I'll take plunge and move forward with GB.

It certainly seems that F1 and Stretch Series make a good combo however is it overkill if I add HS1 too?  I don't want my training to become too diluted so that progress is extremely slow.

I have F1-4, H1-2, & stretch courses :D, am learning oly weightlifting, and go to some crossfit classes occasionally. Absolutely love it. I realized the strength and skills can be transferred in many ways, and many of them turn out to be positive feedback loops too. I don't have a personal coach that can design an optimal training program for me. I'm just doing what I love. It's possible I'm doing a little too much, but I make sure I bake in enough recovery time, and I see good progress overall :). And I'm having a great time! I think I'm happier now than if I had just F1 and F1 only...

Going back to combining Foundations with HS. I don't know what your level of HS is. For me, I'm starting from scratch. My HS progress is very slow, because it's the nature of HS. It's not like just building muscles. It's almost like re-wiring the brains (at least for me). The Foundations series on the other hand, you'll see fast progressions in some elements. These two really complement each other, and won't be an overkill at all (just my two cents). 

4 hours ago, Oussama KHELLADI said:

strength mobility skilss neuroscience GB rules XD 

So TRUE!

• Like 2

Ryan Walker

I did GMB for over a year and have experience with most of their programs. GMB and GB are two very different programs and I don't think one is better than the other. They are both good programs, but both have weaknesses. GB's strength is in its Stretch series and the way it incorporates mobility so you are on the right track. Its biggest weakness is it's a little too rigid by design. I think the perfect program lies somewhere in the middle of both programs.

You should have a head start with your prior GST experience, but the later progressions of F1 maybe a little more difficult than you expect. I decided to start GB from the very beginning even though it was too easy. I just increased the difficulty by doing more volume. I would do all the movements in one day or do the same movements multiple times per week to fast track progression. I slowed  down once it became difficult, which took me about two months (except for Single Legs Squat which is too easy).

I'm only doing GB right now and enjoying it, but my goal is to eventually take what I like from multiple GST programs and build something that works better for me.

Edited by Ryan Walker
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Joachim Hecht

Hey Joshua, 

maybe the Foundation 1 program is not the physical challenge you seek but the integrated mobility part definitely will be! My hips and shoulders feel better than ever before and my back is pain free now! Some of the exercises may seem easy, but if you seek the perfection coach wants to see you will last a few weeks at every exercise. Just thinking of Push Ups and Rowing here. I thought I was good at them but with the tasks for mastery they are so much harder to do! If you progress and reach the third or fourth exercise of the steps though the physical challenge is on!

I purchased all courses over time and they fit well together. I train like 5 days a week and the sessions are short and sweaty. I'm not the perfect example of consistensy but I'm working on it and so the results are showing up!

Some say that you need to spend too much time on some exercises before you can present true "mastery" and you will get bored. I just add some fun stuff in the session and go through it. Maybe that's where your GMB programs come back in your training :) 

Joey