Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how many can do planche?

matt=>

I'm talking about full planche or straddle. Say which one.

As a sidenote, training is coming along well. Started ~two months ago and I'm getting really close to the straddle.

Neal Winkler

Read the elbow tendinitis thread and maybe you will think twice about doing a planche after 2 months!

Still long way from straddle, able to hold the adv for 25s, hoping to get it before June. Is there any other variations I should try or should I just try out straddle now?

At the moment on a good day I believe i'm able to hold at least 2s perfect straddle planche, I sometimes log 5ish seconds but i realised that i have been a bit piked at the hips.

^^^

Good to know how people's progress is coming along. This morning I held an extremely-near straddle for a few seconds. my legs were a little bent, but my arms were straight.

I know people say I'm gonna get injured since I only started a few months ago, but my goal is still a perfect 2-3 second straddle by by May 5th.

Gavin Strelitz

I'm moving through the PL and Lever progressions as part of my training too. I have a solid tuck PL and I'll be transitioning into adv tuck PL in my next cycle. I can hold a decent adv tuck BL and FL too. I am very keen to avoid any injury and I'm doing wall extensions, bridge walks and shoulder dislocates to promote flexibility and support in the shoulders. I've heard alot of guys on the forum saying to take your time before moving into the next progression to save your elbows and shoulders. The question I have is: when do you know if your body is ready to take the extra load and move safely into the next progression? Is it a matter of times held in the static positions or anything else, like amount of time spent training (ie number of cycles) or any other factors?

Cheers

Neal Winkler

[quote name=matt=>]^^^

Good to know how people's progress is coming along. This morning I held an extremely-near straddle for a few seconds. my legs were a little bent, but my arms were straight.

I know people say I'm gonna get injured since I only started a few months ago, but my goal is still a perfect 2-3 second straddle by by May 5th.

May you rest in peace.

Joshua Naterman

Good luck matt! We're not saying you won't make that goal, but you may be setting yourself up for one hell of a setback. I achieved straddle in four months. I'm probably bigger than you at 6'2" 225 lbs, and the bigger you are the more time you need to spend on elbow prep, and despite doing more or less everything I could, it was just too much too fast. My elbows got all jacked up and I ended up taking so much time off of straight arm work that my planche, lever, l-sit, manna, everything has suffered as a result.

If you feel the need to test yourself on the straddle come May 5, do it, but I think you will be far better off to spend the bulk of your time working through the progressions. Don't move to the next progression for actual training until you can do at least 3 sets of 20-30s with 90s or less rest on the one you are currently working. So before you start working straddle as work sets make sure you can do advanced tuck for 3 sets of 20-30s with 90s or less rest, with no elbow discomfort whatsoever. You can always disregard that advice, but you will be taking an unnecessary and foolish risk in my opinion, my personal experience, and the experience of countless others including a man who has successfully built champion athletes for decades. Whatever you choose, good luck and good training to you!

John Sapinoso

on floor i can occasionally bust out a 2-3 second straddle. on p-bars i can do a 3-5 second straddle and a 1-2 second straight. 0n rings i can do a 3-5 second straddle.

on floor i can occasionally bust out a 2-3 second straddle. on p-bars i can do a 3-5 second straddle and a 1-2 second straight. 0n rings i can do a 3-5 second straddle.

This is about where I am.

Nic Scheelings

I can straddle on p-bars or parallettes comfortably for up to 5 sec, floor more inconsistent but I think just due to wrist flexibilty. Rings I've started working and it tends to be a little too high sometimes it's ok but pretty inconsistent.

interesting replies everyone. seems like people have an easier time doing planche work on p bars. i like it better on floor so far...but im only training planche once every five days so wtf do i know

slizzardman, i'm thinking my progress comes from weight training for a few years coupled with the fact that I'm about 100 pounds lighter than you (shorter as well 5'8"). Obviously less weight puts less stress on the tendons and stuff, but on the other hand I'm sure you could military press me through the roof

You guys can do straddle planche on rings longer than you can on floor?!? I thought it was a lot harder on rings.

John Sapinoso

once i lock into position on the rings i find it easier to planche than on floor, it's easier for me to support and balance when i have something to hold onto.

Joshua Naterman

[quote name=matt=>]interesting replies everyone. seems like people have an easier time doing planche work on p bars. i like it better on floor so far...but im only training planche once every five days so wtf do i know

slizzardman, i'm thinking my progress comes from weight training for a few years coupled with the fact that I'm about 100 pounds lighter than you (shorter as well 5'8"). Obviously less weight puts less stress on the tendons and stuff, but on the other hand I'm sure you could military press me through the roof

Your progress definitely comes from already having good muscular strength! Tendons also get conditioned to a certain extent with weight training. You are honestly light enough to where you may not encounter the injury that I did as quickly. Like I said, you'll need to be smart about your training.

Try to keep in mind that because of the nature of the movements, barbell and dumbbell pressing work is always done in the position of maximum mechanical advantage. Gymnastic work, especially planche, is done in the positions of least mechanical advantage. When pressing a barbell, regardless of the incline or decline you will notice that there are multiple 90 degree angles. We never move the bar very far away from a vertical plane of motion, and our hands always stay as close to our shoulders (from a top down view) as is anatomically possible at each moment of the lift. You will find that the exact opposite is true of the harder bodyweight progressions. Each step up in difficulty involves moving the hands further away from the shoulders, which decreases leverage. Because of the angles involved at the joint this ends up putting much more stress on the tendons at the locked arm positions than they ever receive with weight training. This is the reason that we recommend artificially slowing down your progress. If you don't take into account the fact that your tendons need some catching up time, you're either going to get injured, develop bad habits(not locking arms, and thus not building the straight arm strength needed for more advanced feats of gymnastic strength, or both. That's all I'm saying.

You're going to have far less stress on your elbows in a straight arm planche than I will, which is good news for you! You'll progress quickly. Just be smart and don't actually train any position that you can't hold for at least a 15 second max hold. 20s is really better. I promise you, you will still progress very fast due to your existing muscular strength, and you won't get hurt in the process.

As for military pressing you through the roof, I suppose that'd depend on how high the roof was lol!

Joshua Naterman
You guys can do straddle planche on rings longer than you can on floor?!? I thought it was a lot harder on rings.

I've had the same experience with my flat tuck. MUCH easier on rings. Go figure.

thanks for the tips sliz. i know not to progress too quickly because i've learned through the minor strains, pulls, and other problems encountered weight lifting and just exercising in general (sports, running).

A suggestion to those training: buy a cheap camera (or expensive one if you want) and take video clips as you progress. It is an objective way to truly look at progress and it's definitely motivating.

Joshua Naterman

I agree, I noticed a lot of small imperfections in my front lever when I started using my camera. I got an 11 dollar tripod from walmart and it is awesome! Great tool.

This is about where I am.

And how long have you been training it for?

I don't really train statics anymore.

I've been approximately training 4-4.5 years.

I don't really train statics anymore.

Why not? You are a gymnast though right?

No, I quit gymnastics when I was 10/11.

I took up some exhibitional gymnastics in college... but now that I'm graduated I have no use for statics. I don't compete. I train general strength.

I can still do straddle planche, iron cross, front lever, etc. I just choose not to train them when I can train movements/sequences.

irongymnast

Can I ask why?

Also, aren't statics general strength?

Can I ask why?

Also, aren't statics general strength?

Time commitment. I wanted to specialize also and they wouldn't allow me.

Statics can be strength, they can also be endurance. Depends on the intensity and volume.

In general, working at a particular angle only allows transfer within about 30 degrees of the angle used. Hence, why I like multi-plane movements better... hits everything.

Crimsoncross

I took up some exhibitional gymnastics in college... but now that I'm graduated I have no use for statics. I don't compete. I train general strength.

I can still do straddle planche, iron cross, front lever, etc. I just choose not to train them when I can train movements/sequences.

I'm relatively new here and I know that your name is Steven Low and that you have written some articles. Besides that, I don't know anything about you.

How old are you? So now you lift weights+bodyweight exercises? Are you a trainer or something like that?