Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

False grip pull up height

Christopher Denzer

Alessandro Mainente

The Height is enough but the form can be improved, you can post a question in the Rings One subforum and I can give you more details.

1 hour ago, Christopher Denzer said:

@Jin Liumuscle up

Generally speaking the higher the better, and the less strain on the elbows. From my experience, as long as you can pull to a position where you hands are under your arm pits, you can make the transition. But more demand on the elbow strength during the transition.

Christopher Denzer

Thanks, Jin. Any tips for working on getting more height? Besides just trying to pull higher? Lol.

23 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Thanks, Jin. Any tips for working on getting more height? Besides just trying to pull higher? Lol.

Haha, if there's some magic trick I'd like to know too. Weighted pullups can help. But mostly it's really just focusing on pulling higher and explosively. 

Christopher Denzer

Ah! Actually you’ve helped me already. I wasn’t sure if pulling explosively was cheating somehow, like kipping.

3 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Ah! Actually you’ve helped me already. I wasn’t sure if pulling explosively was cheating somehow, like kipping.

Pulling explosively is definitely not the same as kipping. In my mind, there's kipping mu, non-kipping mu, and SLOW mu. Weighted pull-ups and explosive pull-ups help develop that strong pulling strength that will pull your body high to facilitate the transition (for a non-kipping mu). So high pulls are also a way to facilitate transition, but you are still demonstrating your strength (so it's not cheating).

However, if you ever want to do a slow mu, I'd focus on developing that specific elbow strength. It's much harder to pull to chest or below if pulling slowly (not impossible, there are some crazy strong ppl out there), so it requires much more elbow strength to get through the transition.  The one exercise that worked for me to develop the elbow strength is the slow negatives. 

• Like 1

Christopher Denzer

That’s good advice. I’m going to include explosive pulling and negatives into my upper body routine. I wasn’t getting anywhere with the standing transitions, I couldn’t stop helping myself too much with my feet.

50 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

That’s good advice. I’m going to include explosive pulling and negatives into my upper body routine. I wasn’t getting anywhere with the standing transitions, I couldn’t stop helping myself too much with my feet.

I wasted a lot of time with the feet assisted mu too. For the negative, the slower it is during the transition (e.g. 3-5sec transition), the better. But be careful with over stressing the elbow. It is VERY HARD on the elbow joints. If you don't give your elbows ample time to recover, elbow tendinitis will almost certain to find its way to you. I consider this a joint remodeling type of work. So be very patient, knowing that you are in it for the long haul. Good luck! :) 

Johan Tideland

Remember also that you must train the transition specifically, so that you have strength in it.

Only doing pull ups will not get you a muscle up 

• 3 months later...
Scott Rose

One thing that helped me significantly was practicing explosive pull ups on the bar. I worked in the 6-8 rep range because beyond that you will start to loose power. I would do a pull up variation that required a clap or grip switch at the top. You have to really forcefully pull to achieve that. I trained this with false grip holds for time accumulation, and got enough momentum to hit a few ring muscle ups. I’m not sure the best way to train from here, but I am working to slow down and control the negative. I strongly mirror the advice about not overtraining the elbow. You really want to listen to your body. For me I worked one day a week and slowly worked at increasing volume.

Frank Santasiero

Christopher, Don't forget the mobility component of a muscle up. Added mobility has made it possible for me to do a muscle up on rings.

Alessandro Mainente

Without:

-wrists extensors flexibility;

-shoulder extension;

-triceps flexibility 

you have low chances to develop the transition.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Santasiero

Christopher, For me I believe it was mostly shoulder extension. You don't need good mobility to do a slow controlled muscle up. You just need a certain level. My shoulder mobility is still poor even though I have been working the thoracic bridge series for the last 18 months. It has however improved enough for me to do a  muscle up .

• 8 months later...
Stefan Mladenov

I have been working on the strict pull-ups for some time now and my goal is to achieve 5 sets of slow and controlled 10 pull-ups. I can say I am getting there, depending on the day:)), I have got 5x8 so far or 3x9 and 2x7. However, speaking of bar MU and I need to work on explosive pull-ups as well. How to incorparte these so that it would not affect my lvl of strict pull-ups?

I have also been working on shoulder disloc. with a stick cause Ive got really bad mobility in my shoulders and wrist strenghtening. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Stefan, the first thing that must learn before doing accelerated movements is controlled movement. mastering before basic cpp strength (combined pulling and pushing like mu) on rings, then controlled on the bar then you can perform explosive exercises. on adults, explosive work leads to connective tissue problem from elbows up to the shoulders. this is something you must avoid.

• Like 1