• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 meals/day superior to 6 meals/day for appetite control

Neal Winkler

Neal Winkler

A new study:

Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print]

The Influence of Higher Protein Intake and Greater Eating Frequency on Appetite Control in Overweight and Obese Men.

Leidy HJ, Armstrong CL, Tang M, Mattes RD, Campbell WW.

[1] Department of Dietetics & Nutrition, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, USA [2] Department of Foods & Nutrition, Ingestive Behavior Research Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dietary protein intake and eating frequency on perceived appetite, satiety, and hormonal responses in overweight/obese men. Thirteen men (age 51 +/- 4 years; BMI 31.3 +/- 0.8 kg/m(2)) consumed eucaloric diets containing normal protein (79 +/- 2 g protein/day; 14% of energy intake as protein) or higher protein (138 +/- 3 g protein/day; 25% of energy intake as protein) equally divided among three eating occasions (3-EO; every 4 h) or six eating occasions (6-EO; every 2 h) on four separate days in randomized order. Hunger, fullness, plasma glucose, and hormonal responses were assessed throughout 11 h. No protein x eating frequency interactions were observed for any of the outcomes. Independent of eating frequency, higher protein led to greater daily fullness (P < 0.05) and peptide YY (PYY) concentrations (P < 0.05). In contrast, higher protein led to greater daily ghrelin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. normal protein. Protein quantity did not influence daily hunger, glucose, or insulin concentrations. Independent of dietary protein, 6-EO led to lower daily fullness (P < 0.05) and PYY concentrations (P < 0.05). The 6-EO also led to lower glucose (P < 0.05) and insulin concentrations (P < 0.05) vs. 3-EO. Although the hunger-related perceived sensations and hormonal responses were conflicting, the fullness-related responses were consistently greater with higher protein intake but lower with increased eating frequency. Collectively, these data suggest that higher protein intake promotes satiety and challenge the concept that increasing the number of eating occasions enhances satiety in overweight and obese men.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363

Guest Ido Portal

For this, my friend, you REALLY dont need research...

I mean, come on, try for a week one version and the next another.

Not everything is rocket science.

Ido.

I mean, come on, try for a week one version and the next another.

Yes, people should try it, but I think it is of interest since it appears to go against common advice to eat 6 small meals per day, while it agrees with common statements that protein promotes satiety. I have heard some say 6 meals increases metabolism, and others say not. In the mini meal thread I explained how eating 6 meals helped me when I was dieting. I had 6 evenly size evenly spaced meals per day, as I was never overly full my stomach began to shrink, so I got full quicker. Also since your next meal is never far away you are less likely to snack between meals.

As always these studies have to be carefully interpreted

Hunger, fullness, plasma glucose, and hormonal responses were assessed throughout 11 h
6-EO led to lower daily fullness

If I had been given a score card to measure fullness 1-10 when I was dieting I expect the 6-EO might have also shown lower overall fullness scores. But this is what I was aiming for, I did not want to overfill my stomach, I wanted it to shrink and be moderately full all the time so I was never full. They were on eucaloric diets so were physically controlled against possible snacking, which I found I did more with 3 meals a day.

Charles Weill

Haha, Triangle. I figured you would post something like this eventually, since I know how adamantely against eating six time a day you are. :D

Seeing as I am neither overweight, nor middle aged, I do not feel this study applies to me. I will nevertheless take it into consideration. Thanks for the link.

Neal Winkler

I personally am fine on 3 meals per day as long as the meals are big enough. I believe there is evidence to suggest that the body adapts to the eating schedule that you habitually partake, such that, the body releases the hunger hormones at the same time of the day.

Schlaffmann, I never said I was against 6 meals/day, I'm just not actively for it. I think people should pick the meal frequency that best fits their schedule and physiology. Claims to a general superiority of high vs. low meal frequency in the human population have been proven false, IMO.

Charles Weill
I'm just not actively for it.

:D

One nice thing about eating six times a day, is it saves you on restaurant bills. That's especially important in France where restaurant the servings are about 2/3 the size of those in the US, and right now 1euro = $1.40. But Man, I love French food!

Neal Winkler

Isn't Paris the most wonderful place on Earth? Expensive, but so beautiful.

I was lucky to be there for the first time back in September. I didn't understand how their restaurant customs were different from the US (how the wait staff doesn't really come up to you, it's supposed to be a much longer, more laid back dining experience, ect.) so my girlfriend and I never got served drinks. The only reason we got food was because it was those Sushi restaurants where it goes by on a conveyor belt. We thought the waitress was ignoring us. After that we were too afraid to go to any restaurants so we ate out of vendors and places that served to go the whole time! The only exception was when we went on a bike tour (the best event of the trip) and had a good meal at a place in the park in front of the Louvre (Jardin des Tuileries?).

Alvaro Antolinez

Hehe next time you only have to call the waiter with a sign of your hand, if he sees you will nod and come to you allthough some times you have to insist for some minutes! Usually I can have some beers or wine in Paris. :wink:

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.