Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

unimpressed by strength

Guest marktb68

Crimsoncross
It offended me when you said: "he has nothing" like I can't even do even an L-seat.

No man! What a thing to say. All I was talking about was always body-wise, not performance/skill-wise.

Sometimes, video makes you smaller and sometimes makes bigger then you realy are. You can look at the leatest video from my competition and compare it.

I'll take a look at it in a while.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregor

• Joshua Naterman

• Jeffrey

• Crimsoncross

Steroids would make gymnasts get heavier which would would be against them. It's always about the strength/bodyweight ratio.

To play devil's advocate here, strength gains are so large with 'roids, assuming proper training of course, that strength gain will occur at a much faster rate than weight gain, especially with certain steroids. So the concern of weight gain is unwarranted when that added weight actually increases strength to bodyweight ratio. Just something to consider.

********** My Russian sprint coach friend told me that the Soviets cycled steroids so that near competition they were "off"

not just due to getting "caught" but also due to the weight of water that was in their systems. Strength to body weight max!

Brandon Green

Razz: Why are you saying that steroid use is controversial at Gelder's case? Because he's so muscular? Maybe he has trained very hard for it. Yuri Chechi is at least as big as he is.

I said this simply because he is so much bigger than almost any other rings athlete and he has been tested positive for one drug which could increase the likelyhood of other drugs. PLEASE do not think I say Gelder is doped, I don't wanna take a stand on this. Probably I shouldn't have said what I said in the first case.

Look from 5.07 until the end of his routine. That's the most muscular (and lean) ring athlete I've seen, up to today. Can you link to a Gelder video where he looks bigger and leaner than that?

I'm not saying Yuri is bigger or whatever in this video (and I don't really care), but it does give a good impression of his physique!

g_LN0xPaiyE

Some of those Bartendaz like Hannibal are very ripped. More so than many gymnasts because I think their program lends itself to hypertrophy better. They do lots of volume with a lot of TimeUnderTension.

This was posted on a bodyweight training site, of course there is no way to tell if it is actually one of them, but somebody claiming to be one of the bartendaz said this when asked about their training

there are different styles of training.

some of us love to train everyday, I can show you the workout schedules we use:

one is 45 sets of 10 pull ups, 15 dips and 20 push ups every day or every other day.

the other is more comlicated and is spread throughout the week.

Monday 1000 pushups, 500 squats, 1000 toe raises and 200 pullups and stretching

Tuesday 1000 pushups, 500 dips, situps and stretching

Wednesday 1000 pushups, 200 pullups, situps, squats and stretching

Thursday 1000 pushups, 300 pullups, situps, dips and stretching

Friday 1000 pushups, 400 pullups, situps, dips and stretching

Saturday all day stretching

as you can see, our workouts involve a lot of bw exercise with very high numbers. to improve, I'd suggest to set a goal like 300-500 pushups and do more sets like 100 x 3-5 and then improve over the time to the goal of 20 x 50.

Joshua Naterman
Some of those Bartendaz like Hannibal are very ripped. More so than many gymnasts because I think their program lends itself to hypertrophy better. They do lots of volume with a lot of TimeUnderTension.

This was posted on a bodyweight training site, of course there is no way to tell if it is actually one of them, but somebody claiming to be one of the bartendaz said this when asked about their training

one is 45 sets of 10 pull ups, 15 dips and 20 push ups every day or every other day.

as you can see, our workouts involve a lot of bw exercise with very high numbers. to improve, I'd suggest to set a goal like 300-500 pushups and do more sets like 100 x 3-5 and then improve over the time to the goal of 20 x 50.

This is how I trained for a long time at Gun School. Every 50-60 minutes or so from the time we woke up until after dinner we'd stop and do 50 push ups and 20 sit ups monday through friday for 4 months. That doesn't include our workouts outside of class... Keep in mind that 3x a week we were also doing a few hundred push ups early in the morning at spec ops training as well. I didn't do this for the dips, I just trained high reps and ended up being able to do 91 consecutive perfect dips. That's not something you actually do at BUDS, but I could even give Instructor Walker a run for his money on dips hahaha, I used to lock eyes with him whenever we did dips as a class, he could never make me tired.

I used to do three 120 pull up workouts per week. 2x10 for close grip, wide grip, regular grip, chin grip, mountain climbers left forward, mountain climbers right forward. Then I changed some of those out for the weighted pull ups, which skyrocketed my max reps.

I still benched once or twice a week too, as well as deadlifting and weighted squats. So to me large parts of this are not impossible.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that one of two things is happening with that post. These guys are either inflating some of their numbers or doing really, really crappy reps compared to our standards, and possibly both. I'd be willing to go spend a week with them on MY DIME to be proven otherwise. When I see someone perform 400 pull ups, even if they are spread throughout the day, after they have done 200-300 pull ups per day for several days in a row then I'll believe it is possible, much less happening. If they'd have said 150-200 for 5 days a week I wouldn't be as skeptical. The sit ups and squats are whatever. I'm not impressed by a few hundred.

With perfect form and no momentum, these aren't happening. Period. With ballistic movements, using a shortened range of motion like we see in many videos with fast push ups, I wouldn't be surprised to see 7-800 a day. We did about that much after it was all said and done, I don't see why anyone else can't.

Keep in mind that if they are doing this, they probably do not have regular jobs. They're probably either slinging or on government cheese. This kind of work takes a looooooooooooooooooong time. The only reasons we could pull off what we did was because a) there were 13 of us doing the same thing, and b) we took a 10 minute break every 50-55 minutes in class. I don't care where you work ( unless you're in a gym), you're not going to be able to do this all day, and you sure as hell are not going to be doing that much work in the afternoon. It's just not going to happen. I've been there and done that, and there's only so much the body can do. For any one of those movements, sure, no problem. For all of them? I don't buy it unless the reps are seriously compromised. Partial ROM and ballistic movement changes the whole game.

This is how I trained for a long time at Gun School. Every 50-60 minutes or so from the time we woke up until after dinner we'd stop and do 50 push ups and 20 sit ups monday through friday for 4 months. That doesn't include our workouts outside of class... Keep in mind that 3x a week we were also doing a few hundred push ups early in the morning at spec ops training as well. I didn't do this for the dips, I just trained high reps and ended up being able to do 91 consecutive perfect dips. That's not something you actually do at BUDS, but I could even give Instructor Walker a run for his money on dips hahaha, I used to lock eyes with him whenever we did dips as a class, he could never make me tired.

I used to do three 120 pull up workouts per week. 2x10 for close grip, wide grip, regular grip, chin grip, mountain climbers left forward, mountain climbers right forward. Then I changed some of those out for the weighted pull ups, which skyrocketed my max reps.

I still benched once or twice a week too, as well as deadlifting and weighted squats. So to me large parts of this are not impossible.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that one of two things is happening with that post. These guys are either inflating some of their numbers or doing really, really crappy reps compared to our standards, and possibly both. I'd be willing to go spend a week with them on MY DIME to be proven otherwise. When I see someone perform 400 pull ups, even if they are spread throughout the day, after they have done 200-300 pull ups per day for several days in a row then I'll believe it is possible, much less happening. If they'd have said 150-200 for 5 days a week I wouldn't be as skeptical. The sit ups and squats are whatever. I'm not impressed by a few hundred.

With perfect form and no momentum, these aren't happening. Period. With ballistic movements, using a shortened range of motion like we see in many videos with fast push ups, I wouldn't be surprised to see 7-800 a day. We did about that much after it was all said and done, I don't see why anyone else can't.

Keep in mind that if they are doing this, they probably do not have regular jobs. They're probably either slinging or on government cheese. This kind of work takes a looooooooooooooooooong time. The only reasons we could pull off what we did was because a) there were 13 of us doing the same thing, and b) we took a 10 minute break every 50-55 minutes in class. I don't care where you work ( unless you're in a gym), you're not going to be able to do this all day, and you sure as hell are not going to be doing that much work in the afternoon. It's just not going to happen. I've been there and done that, and there's only so much the body can do. For any one of those movements, sure, no problem. For all of them? I don't buy it unless the reps are seriously compromised. Partial ROM and ballistic movement changes the whole game.

Here is a workout taken from someone of the Barbarians. I think the frequency is 7 days a week. I believe he broadcasts his workouts on USstream. I haven't seen it, actually.

Keep in mind, the bar-barians requirements are 40 dips, 20 pullups, 50 pushups, and 5 muscle ups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warm-Up Includes :

jumping, moving arms around,

push-ups , fore arm set ,

shoulder set, abs set,

lowerback set, squat set,

Stretch after the Warm-Up

I DO MEGA SUPERSETS BETWEEN THE SETS JUST TO GET MORE PUMP.. im show this workout tommorow on ustream

1. Bar-barian requirements 5-45-25-55-5, i try to do more each workout.

atleast 3 times a day .

AFTER EACH SET U DO MAX PUSH UPS EX - 15HANDSTAND PUSH UPS 50 DIAMONDS 1 LEG UP..

2. Max Pull-ups, (warm-up)

Weighted Pull-ups (max)

x5

30 sec rest

3. Handstand push ups max (warm-up)

handstand push ups max with ankleweights

start withouth wall, if u cant get ur

reps u whant u finish it with the wall

x5

30 sec rest

4. Max Dips (warm-up)

weightedvest dips Max

x5

30 sec rest

5. Tricep Extensions

max reps 5 sets

30 sec rest

6. ring flys with 30 kilo weighted vest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

6. Bulgarian Dips 2 L-seat raises on rings

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

7. dragonflags with 3 sec holds top-middle-low max reps

max x5 sets

i putted my bar higher where i can stretch my to the top to make it harder.

30 sec rest

ok so now we are warmed up we ready for some extreme work.

NO PUSH UPS AFTER SETS

30 SEC REST OR MORE

8. frontlever raises with an hold on top (u can use rings or bar)

8 reps x 5 sets

9. frontlever pulls with an hold on the lock out ( u can use rings or bar)

8 reps x 5 sets

10. frontlever 2 muscle ups, i use rings cause i cant go threw my roof lol

5 reps x 5 sets

11. frontlever 2 muscle up 2 planche on top ..

5 reps x 5 sets

12. Planche push ups 5 sets of max reps

13. 90 degree push ups 5 sets of max reps

14. iron cross with 3 sec hold on the cross

5 reps x 5 sets

15. One arm pull-ups assisted i use my pinky

max reps x 5 sets

16. one arm negatives, hold on top for 3 sec, middle-low-deadhang.

3 sets

17. Barbarian requirements with the vest on, really burn out, i like to do pull ups dips straight after it

10-10-10-10-10-10-8-4.. just keep going untill you cant go anymore and than go lil more..

STRETCH AFTER THE WORKOUT.. PEACE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it is real, and of high quality, I would like to see him take a doping test.

irongymnast

For some reason, this post reminds me of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. LOL

• Upvote 1

Crimsoncross
Here is a workout taken from someone of the Barbarians. I think the frequency is 7 days a week. I believe he broadcasts his workouts on USstream. I haven't seen it, actually.

Keep in mind, the bar-barians requirements are 40 dips, 20 pullups, 50 pushups, and 5 muscle ups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warm-Up Includes :

shoulder set, abs set,

I DO MEGA SUPERSETS BETWEEN THE SETS JUST TO GET MORE PUMP.. im show this workout tommorow on ustream

atleast 3 times a day .

AFTER EACH SET U DO MAX PUSH UPS EX - 15HANDSTAND PUSH UPS 50 DIAMONDS 1 LEG UP..

Weighted Pull-ups (max)

x5

30 sec rest

x5

30 sec rest

4. Max Dips (warm-up)

weightedvest dips Max

x5

30 sec rest

5. Tricep Extensions

max reps 5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

NO PUSH UPS AFTER SETS

30 SEC REST OR MORE

8 reps x 5 sets

8 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

max reps x 5 sets

3 sets

17. Barbarian requirements with the vest on, really burn out, i like to do pull ups dips straight after it

10-10-10-10-10-10-8-4.. just keep going untill you cant go anymore and than go lil more..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet that's from "LittleBeastM". That guy's just a psycho (a real psycho, mind you, not one in the sense of being "good" or whatever). He posts his workouts everyweek or several times during the week. He told me his method is to go to the max on every set. This guy has done 1000 dips and other exercises in a day. *Coockoo*

Crimsoncross
The funny part is 1000 pushups wont get you big by any means.

I think all of these guys train like that, with a truck load of volume.

So if what you say is true, then how come Hannibal, Hitman, Zef, Jay, Beast and some others are big?

Crimsoncross

Yes, these guys don't do full ROM and they do them very fast, they have bad form.

I mean just take a look at this guy, he can't even do dips:

5jkoOBqtzyY

And this is Zef doing the "requirements":

bGFkeG44Klc

They all do dips like that, they never go past 90degrees, never full ROM and they do them fast with momentum.

At the very least on requirements per day: 135 dips, 75 pullups, 165 pushups, and 15 muscle ups.

Weighted pull-ups = At least 5 reps

Handstand pushups = At least 5 reps

Weighted dips = At least 5 reps

Weighted ring flys = At least 5 reps

Bulgarian dips = At least 5 reps

Dragon flags = At least 45 seconds time under tension.

Front lever pulls = At least 80 reps.

Front lever statics = At least 50 seconds.

Planche pushups = At least 5 reps.

90 degree pushups = At least 5 reps.

Cross volume = 75 seconds.

One arm chin negatives = At least 12 seconds time under tension.

He talks about 30 seconds rest, yet he says to do max pushups and wall handstand pushups between sets in the 1st half. Essentially, no real rest…for over one hour. Hahaha...that must be the punch line.

Take this into consideration. Pressing movements: He does at least 30 reps for pressing. That means possibly 30 reps of his 1 rep max per day. Or 60 reps of his 2 rep max (95%), and 90 reps of his 3 rep max (~90%). It goes on and on. If you want to know what what I think about this, see Zach Even-Esh's opinion on the "5 year plan."

Crimsoncross
Sounds boring to me. 500 pullups and 500 pushups and 500 dips. blah blah.

Yeah. Talk about time-consuming as well. He probably spends the whole day doing exercises.

Sounds boring to me. 500 pullups and 500 pushups and 500 dips. blah blah.

Yeah. Talk about time-consuming as well. He probably spends the whole day doing exercises.

Some of us have jobs. :\

Crimsoncross
Some of us have jobs. :\

Yeah! I'm just 20 and in "time off" right now, so I have everyday off. 8)

If that's how Hitman and Hannibal train, then how are they so big?

Joshua Naterman

Just to interject some sanity into this, I am telling you right now, from experience, that there is not one person on this planet who can do that workout the way he says to do it. I don't care if they are taking every steroid on the market and have a 5 gallon tank of ATP up their ass.

It's actually hard to even stay in my seat, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to strain something lol!

As for the question about volume and size, high volume does tend to elicit more growth than low volume, but only to the extent that your body can recover from what you do to it. There are only a few of these guys who are actually big. The rest are normal to skinny. If they were all big, there would be something to it. People like me get and stay pretty big no matter what we do, within reason. In that regard, it is to some extent just something some of us are born with.

Without knowing the full training history of Hit-Man and Hannibal, there's no way to know, but if you notice, both of them tend to show off strength-oriented moves. Most of the others just do fancy shit that doesn't require anywhere near as much maximal strength, and !!!surprise!!! they are much smaller than those two. If you want to get big, specifically, you're going to be working on a balance between high intensity and high volume. Their strength sets never actually last that long... maybe 45 seconds. That puts them right in the TUT range for hypertrophy.

Warm-Up Includes :

shoulder set, abs set,

atleast 3 times a day .

Weighted Pull-ups (max)

x5

30 sec rest

x5

30 sec rest

4. Max Dips (warm-up)

weightedvest dips Max

x5

30 sec rest

5. Tricep Extensions

max reps 5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

NO PUSH UPS AFTER SETS

30 SEC REST OR MORE

8 reps x 5 sets

8 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

max reps x 5 sets

3 sets

I bet that's from "LittleBeastM". That guy's just a psycho (a real psycho, mind you, not one in the sense of being "good" or whatever). He posts his workouts everyweek or several times during the week. He told me his method is to go to the max on every set. This guy has done 1000 dips and other exercises in a day. *Coockoo*

Yes, that is the person. Probably on the juice. I'm pretty sure he said he had stretch marks on top of his biceps from training and growing. Sounds like the juice.

Just to interject some sanity into this, I am telling you right now, from experience, that there is not one person on this planet who can do that workout the way he says to do it. I don't care if they are taking every steroid on the market and have a 5 gallon tank of ATP up their ass.

It's actually hard to even stay in my seat, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to strain something lol!

As for the question about volume and size, high volume does tend to elicit more growth than low volume, but only to the extent that your body can recover from what you do to it. There are only a few of these guys who are actually big. The rest are normal to skinny. If they were all big, there would be something to it. People like me get and stay pretty big no matter what we do, within reason. In that regard, it is to some extent just something some of us are born with.

Without knowing the full training history of Hit-Man and Hannibal, there's no way to know, but if you notice, both of them tend to show off strength-oriented moves. Most of the others just do fancy shit that doesn't require anywhere near as much maximal strength, and !!!surprise!!! they are much smaller than those two. If you want to get big, specifically, you're going to be working on a balance between high intensity and high volume. Their strength sets never actually last that long... maybe 45 seconds. That puts them right in the TUT range for hypertrophy.

You got the punchline, too. LOL

Crimsoncross

Yeah, I want to gain size specifically, but I also exercise for general fitness and because I just hate being a skinny weakling. But I'm not skinny like that heh, slow down, my arms are probably 13" and I'm very athletic, that's what they were when I measured them months ago and I've stayed relatively the same, but I can't find my tape so at the moment I don't know exactly how they are. But even like this I'm still skinny.

I was thinking of simply lifting weights, but I decided I want to go with gymnastics because they are far better and cheaper, and because I just like them so much. I just inherently feel I need to exercise and I want it to be with gymnastics and no weights.

Crimsoncross

Warm-Up Includes :

shoulder set, abs set,

atleast 3 times a day .

Weighted Pull-ups (max)

x5

30 sec rest

x5

30 sec rest

4. Max Dips (warm-up)

weightedvest dips Max

x5

30 sec rest

5. Tricep Extensions

max reps 5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

max x5 sets

30 sec rest

NO PUSH UPS AFTER SETS

30 SEC REST OR MORE

8 reps x 5 sets

8 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

5 reps x 5 sets

max reps x 5 sets

3 sets

Obsess much? LOL!

The funny part is 1000 pushups wont get you big by any means.

I think all of these guys train like that, with a truck load of volume.

So if what you say is true, then how come Hannibal, Hitman, Zef, Jay, Beast and some others are big?

I'm not gonna restart the whole discussion again. I respect the guys and I envy them for there skills. But again I think there is something more than the eye sees.