Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

unimpressed by strength

Guest marktb68

Guest marktb68

Impress me with great physiques: ripped abs, big chest and shoulders, a wide back, big arms. could care less how strong how you are and what you can do. Until people on this website admit they are "into" gymnastics for the physique benefits, no one will be honest here.

Has anyone seen dez Bryant's physique? do you think he can do a planche? His physique is amazing. Most of the people I have found who can do a planche and ring work(on the web) have mediocre physiques. I say who cares. You look normal to me but can do this. Who cares.

Big Dave's physique is above average. He can amazing things but his body doesn't reflect his performance ability.

I have found the key to using the rings to building a bodybuilder type of physique without worrying about if I can do I a planche or do 20 ring dips.

I know of a man who is a great triathlete and looks like death. His PERFORMANCE is great, but his body is horrible. Again, I asked the guys on this forum and be honest. Would you rather look like T.O(Terrrell Owens) or do planche pushups and look normal?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregor

• Joshua Naterman

• Jeffrey

• Crimsoncross

Richard Duelley

I am in it for the strength gains. The physique/skill gains are just a nice side effect of a good diet and an increase in strength :mrgreen: I will always train for maximum strength, if I stay with a predominate bodyweight program, however, is yet to be seen. I am not counting my handbalancing work. . .thats an obsession and addiction and I just cant stop! :mrgreen: If you want pictures follow the link in my signature to my handbalacning, strength training, life log on Idos forums.

Chris Hansen
Impress me with great physiques: ripped abs, big chest and shoulders, a wide back, big arms. could care less how strong how you are and what you can do. Until people on this website admit they are "into" gymnastics for the physique benefits, no one will be honest here.

Has anyone seen dez Bryant's physique? do you think he can do a planche? His physique is amazing. Most of the people I have found who can do a planche and ring work(on the web) have mediocre physiques. I say who cares. You look normal to me but can do this. Who cares.

Big Dave's physique is above average. He can amazing things but his body doesn't reflect his performance ability.

I have found the key to using the rings to building a bodybuilder type of physique without worrying about if I can do I a planche or do 20 ring dips.

I know of a man who is a great triathlete and looks like death. His PERFORMANCE is great, but his body is horrible. Again, I asked the guys on this forum and be honest. Would you rather look like T.O(Terrrell Owens) or do planche pushups and look normal?

Are you serious or just a troll?

And triathletes aren't really known for their physiques. I'm personally not interested in a bodybuilder physique but I don't want to look like an endurance athlete either.

Neal Winkler

Everyone wants to look better naked. I probably wouldn't do gymnastics if I thought that it wouldn't build muscle. But since I think it can, I'll do it and get the extra benefit of the journey being more fun and fulfilling (for me) than weighted work.

The reason people with unimpressive physiques can do planche is because planche isn't hard. Get to the point where you can do back lever to planche or maltese and then tell me that your biceps aren't jacked out of your skull.

Also, you've never seen anyone on the web that can do advanced ring work and also doesn't have significant hypertrophy. Please provide evidence of this if you have.

Most of the girls in my gym really like the pictures in GB. They really like the cover and kidded they even thought about tearing it off. Personally, they don't much do anything for me but whatever.

Found one picture of Dez Bryant. Ok, but nothing much compared to our Gregor. Some of those Bartendaz like Hannibal are very ripped. More so than many gymnasts because I think their program lends itself to hypertrophy better. They do lots of volume with a lot of TimeUnderTension.

Dunno, looking good is a side note of training. It can be your focus, but this tends to lead to narcissism and ego.

Do you want to train to look good or look good as an aspect of your training? I find it far more interesting to do cool stuff than be a meathead. I'm sure a lot of bodybuilders look a lot stronger and ripped than gymnasts. What can do they do that is cool? Some plays in football are pretty cool. A low level elite/college tumbling pass is probably dizzying to look at and compare.

Crimsoncross

The ones who are "serious" into gymnastics aren't in it for the looks or for hypertrophy (at least that's what I think). They're in it because it is a sport and that's what they like. You aren't a good gymnast by your looks, but by what you can do, regardless if you're a twig.

Strength don't got jack nothing to do with how muscular you are.

As a side note, I think you will really like these videos:

LOL!

Crimsoncross

But I will say that I am with you OP in that being able to do all of the hardest gymnastic exercises and being a twig is ridiculous. It doesn't look good. Then people would say "who cares". I would rather be a "weak" ripped guy who at least looks strong than being like our 2 fellows in the video. Count me out.

Found one picture of Dez Bryant. Ok, but nothing much compared to our Gregor.

Gregor? If this is Gregor http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=nUL ... Ko4g%3D%3D , he doesn't have anything (no offense).

Some of those Bartendaz like Hannibal are very ripped. More so than many gymnasts because I think their program lends itself to hypertrophy better. They do lots of volume with a lot of TimeUnderTension.

If training like these guys is "so bad" (to failure, a lot, with short rest times, etc.) then how are they so muscular and strong. Hitman can do planche pushups (among a myriad of other things) and what Hannibal does speaks for itself. Have you seen Hitman? That guy's a monster. He has 18 inch arms. Hannibal is another monster.

Crimson Cross,

I am not sure what you are trying to get across to the people who read this forum. I am new to gymnastics, and am in no way a fanatic, so my defense does not come from that camp. However, I think that comparing the hypertrophy results of gymnastics and whatever weight work you speak of is like apples and oranges.

The reason you see smaller, leaner people in mainstream gymnastics is because the smaller you are, the less you weigh (generally). Many of the really difficult movements would be nearly impossible for people that are heavier. Impossible may not be the right word, but what I mean is that there are certain bodytypes better suited for certain sports. For example, do tall or short people make up the majority of an NBA roster?

Your video examples of a fairly lean individual doing some pretty difficult moves says a couple different things to me. One, that kid is pretty strong. Stronger pound for pound than me, and I am much bigger and more muscular. Two, he probably wouldn't be much more muscular no matter what type of strength training he was doing unless he went on a really high calorie (weight gain) diet. Not everyone can become ripped like a bodybuilder without getting fat first. Sorry, it is almost an across the board fact (genetics aside).

My question to you is this...what is your argument? Did you post just to knock on people who participate in the sport of gymnastics, or are you also trying to question gymnastics as a method of resistance training? After all I have learned in my strength journey thus far, I am under the belief that the mode of resistance training isn't really the deciding factor for hypertrophy. If you did gymnastics and had a high calorie diet, you would get bigger/stronger. If you then dieted properly, you would be muscular and lean. I think just as muscular as the guys who follow that protocal with weights. Resistance is resistance. Most gymnasts would not follow that protocal because it would make attaining the higher level strength moves much more difficult. However, form follows function, and anyone who diligently follows a strength program will get stronger and more muscular. How much and how fast depends on more than what type of resistance you choose.

In closing, I will repeat that I am not a gymnast. I am 240, and have lifted weights (all various forms/protocals) for most of my athletic career. Since adding gymnastics/bodyweight training to my other fitness endeavors, I have seen the best strength gains. My interest in strength training has been rejuvenated, and I am much more agile, flexible, and healthy overall. That is my results, not everyones...but why worry so much about what other people are doing it for? Follow your path. Encourage others, provide insight/tips for success in their strength training journey. Otherwise, leave them alone. If the gymnastics training men/women are so wrong, at the end of the road you can look back and laugh to yourself for their folly in choices. But in the meantime, don't stir the pot and not have any good reason to do so.

Rambro

Would you rather look like T.O(Terrrell Owens) or do planche pushups and look normal?

I know i'd choose the latter one :D

And i know who Big Dave is because he trains like a gymnast

being able to do all of the hardest gymnastic exercises and being a twig is ridiculous

In my opinion it would be just as ridiculous if that tiny little twig with toothpick arms and legs could handle more weight on curls, deadlifts, bench press or whatever than someone who uses all the Weider Principles to look as if he was strong. This is no BB-forum.

Charles Weill

If you want to be muscular and simply look good, without having any athletic abilities or good health, drop BtGB and do weight-lifting-bodybuilding. I'm sure you will get quick results. If your results are not quick enough, you could simply juice yourself up like close to 100% of all professional bodybuilders. The choice is yours.

As for me, I just went strength and the self-dominance to perform amazing feats like an iron cross and planche push-ups that comes from a long BtGB program. Muscle hypertrophy is just a side effect. :wink:

edit: I get the feeling that Terrell Owens, dez Bryant and Big Frank all have a very mesomorphic bodytype (you know, the one that is the ideal muscle-man). I feel like a lot of their gains come from their training for sure, but their bodytype allows them to easily put on BIG muscle compared to ectomorphs (lovingly called hard-gainers because they burn calories without converting them into muscle or fat) or mesomorphs (whose bodies turn most calories into fat). Note that most elite athletes are highly mesomorphic because of their genetic predisposition to muscle gains.

Richard Duelley
he probably wouldn't be much more muscular no matter what type of strength training he was doing unless he went on a really high calorie (weight gain) diet. Not everyone can become ripped like a bodybuilder without getting fat first. Sorry, it is almost an across the board fact (genetics aside).

Rambro

I have personally gained 10 lean pounds since I started eating everything (clean thing) insight, maybe more but I havent been on the scale for a month 8) and I am an ectomorph (long limbed and lightning fast metabolism) for sure. I am working very hard to avoid the "fat" phase of weight gain. :mrgreen: So you can gain with BW movements but I am certain I wont gain like a BB. . . but then again I don’t want to look a BB I want to be lean and mean.

Chris Hansen

As Rambro kind of pointed out, I think people forget the whole age/genetics thing. A 100 pound high school gymnast isn't going to look like a pro bodybuilder. People like Hitman or Hannibal are big guys, they're not going to look like a high school gymnast no matter what they do.

If you weigh 240 pounds, planche pushups will be a much more difficult exercise than it will be for a 100 pound guy but it will also have the potential to develop more strength and mass than the for the 100 pound guy.

Crimsoncross

I don't have any time right now but I will say 2 things:

1- I did not create this thread.

2-I wasn't picking at gymnastics or gymnasts Rambro. Learn to read and then read my post again.

Thankyou, Heinrich. I was thinking that picture of Gregor doing maltese.

Bartendaz, Bar-barians, etc all train for different goals than gymnasts. Actually, some of their goals are very similar to what many on BtGB probably have. Get strong, do cool stuff. Many CrossFitters have the same goals. There is a handful of CrossFitters out there who really get into the gymnastics side upon touching upon the gymnastics of CF.

If training like these guys is "so bad"
I never said it was "bad". As well, they prefer to add a bit of flair to their training moves to make it more "alive" and artistic. However, I'm a bit simple when it comes to being artistic and it explains most of my thoughts on the more artistic flair that has become parkour. Then again, I love wushu, so perhaps I'm just bipolar.

Crimson Cross,

You are right. I went back through the posts, after getting some sleep, and now realize that you did not start this debate. I unintentionally lumped you in with the person that did post it, probably because it sounded like you were in agreement. I apologize for that.

Rambro

Check out these to pics. I would be really and I ment really glad if I had a physique like those build with gymnastics.

male_gymnast.jpg

Yuri van Gelder: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OMLYyLC8HTo/Si1G3 ... 5B4%5D.jpg

On the other hand. If you want to be a buff bodybuilder than bodybuild if you want to be a powerlifter, Powerlift etc etc. Its all about specificity. If you want big muscles make it a priority. you could always add some gymnastics if you like. It wont hurt to do some static exercises before you start lifting. Just my .2 cents

Guest marktb68

Who said anything about proving my toughness. I just simply made a statement, never attacking anyone til that member said something about ME. Nor did I mention fighting. Why the hostility here when I never attacked anyone PERSONALLY? I don't get it.

Those pics are amazing. They have great phsiques for sure. You guys wanted proof of mediocre physiques but great strength.

Brad Johnson for one. I admire Brad and what he does. This forum has deteriorated substantially. Guys challegning me to a fight over a post, noteven bout him? Wow. Talk about insecurity.

Never will I be here again.

Joshua Naterman
Why the hostility here when I never attacked anyone PERSONALLY? I don't get it.

HMM... Let's examine the OP and see if we can figure it out.

Most of the people I have found who can do a planche and ring work(on the web) have mediocre physiques. I say who cares. You look normal to me but can do this. Who cares.

In one single post you have managed to accuse everyone here, as a group, of being liars. That makes it personal to each and every person who posts on the forum. All by itself, that would inspire hostility, but you didn't stop there. You proceed to insult everyone who cares about their progress in gymnastic skills by saying that it doesn't matter what they can do with your "who cares" remarks. You end your post by saying once again that you asked for honesty and didn't get it.

You, personally, seem to care exclusively about how you look. Not everyone shares that view. When you accuse others of lying because you do not understand that there is a difference of opinions concerning what is important and what is not, you show that you believe yourself to be superior to those who care more or exclusively about skills and strength compared to looks. That shows extreme bias without regard to the opinions or feelings of others, and will always garner a negative reaction.

Your comment about Big Dave shows that you are even more confused about looks matching up with performance than you are about the difference between a lie and a difference in priority. Everyone who looks to be stronger than a gymnast, powerlifter, or other strength athlete but can not equal their performance suffers from their performance not matching up with their looks. Anyone who can perform feats beyond what you would expect from their physical appearance suffer from the exact same thing. Their performance does not match their looks. You made your comment about Big Dave sound like an insult, as if he is somehow doing something wrong by not looking better than he does. Comments like that just solidify the opinion of every person here who feels like you're a jerk for telling them that you know what they want more so than they do.

You basically walked into the 'hood and called everyone a bunch of f'ing N*%%&rs. What kind of reaction did you expect?

Mikael Kristiansen

Nickvb, where did you find that picture? That is Hampus Johansson, he is a swedish straps artist, who did the Montreal circus school that coached me some weeks ago. He is incredibly strong, and he is super skilled in straps.

Nickvb, where did you find that picture? That is Hampus Johansson, he is a swedish straps artist, who did the Montreal circus school that coached me some weeks ago. He is incredibly strong, and he is super skilled in straps.

I was wondering what was going on there. I thought it was a (very muscular) little kid