Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pike form check

Jared Johnston

Jared Johnston

Hey guys. I've been doing the suggested workout routine of the GB ultimate course and I'm just wanting to check my form. More background on my situation in the link below.

I've attached two variations of the standing Pike and one of the narrow hurdler. I wondering if I should be keeping my back straight to reduce strain on the lower back. I vaguely remember hearing something about that in one of the videos.

Also, since my hamstring flexibility is so bad, is there anything that I can do on the days when I don't do the front split stretch routine to improve my progress? 

Cheers

Jared

20180201_205016.jpg

20180201_205145.jpg

20180201_210335.jpg

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jared, in the other days you can consider to do the last pic exercise you posted above with some degrees of bending in your knees.

• Like 1

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Jared, we have pretty much the same hamstring flexibility. For the standing pike I generally do it in APT (first picture) but sometimes I change and I do it losing a bit of apt or completely relaxing my back (second picture). I keep on changing that but I must say it s good that you develop the back and quad strenght to keep APT. When you decide to do it as in your second picture you could place your hands in an elevated surface to don t feel any strain in your low back. You shouldn t feel any discomfort in your low back. Even If you are stretching like in your second picture you can work on anteriorizing your pelvis (apt), this does not mean you will keep full apt but that you ll be pressing your pelvis down instead of trying to go lower by curling the spine. I hope all this make sense! :)

• Like 2

Jared Johnston
On 03/02/2018 at 12:17 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Jared, in the other days you can consider to do the last pic exercise you posted above with some degrees of bending in your knees.

On these other days should I be stretching as long as in the front split series?

• 4 months later...
Luke Searra

@Jared Johnston cosider doing all three stretch series every week.

Monday: Middle Splits

Wednesday:Thoracic Bridge

Friday: Front Splits

For example, will give you enough time to recover from each series and progress.