Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Balancing volume with injuries

Longshanks

In my recent daftness I realised that I was only doing a max of 30 seconds to my counting too fast, hence my metronome post. However, this did do a brilliant job of rehabilitating a string of injuries. Ever since I've started doing the full minute on each exercise my injuries have started to ache a little again. It seems I'm toeing the line of my recovery ability because when I cut back intentionally a max volume of 30seconds on each hold the bad joints stopped like overnight.

My question is this, would I be better just continuing with a max volume of 30secs per exercise indefinitely? I have had some modest gains with this abbreviated time-frame but I'm not sure that's just beginner gains. I read on various posts I found that volume capacity does increase over time but is that over months or years? Would it be worth spending a 3 month cycle building up the volume to a minute gradually, or sticking to these low volume static holds for a year or so and then think about building it up?

Cheers for any help

Longshanks

Spend 3 weeks at the 30s. Heck you could spend an entire 8-12 week cycle on it. Perhaps every 3 weeks, add 5s. I think you get the idea.

Are you working out 2, 3 or 4 days a week? This is another way to manage volume and increase rest.

I'm currently doing 3 days a week. Yea that sounds like a good plan. Think I'll stick to 30secs for a month then add an extra 5-10sec hold once a month until I get to a minute. Will probably end up being a 4-5 month cycle but maybe that's what I need.

Cheers for the feedback