Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-sleeping limbering routine

Alessandro Ganzini

Alessandro Ganzini

Hello guys,

do you have any short and gentle pre-sleeping limbering routine to suggest me?

I would like to start this new habit.

Thank you

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Alessandro,

That's really individual since we all have different limits.  Try to find some mobility exercises you like to do. Lightly put yourself  in rest mode while limbering.

You also can use the stretch series (more front split or middle, TB is a bit more intense) to help relax.  

The main point you have to keep in mind while mobilizing before going to sleep is to keep it light and gentle :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Alessandro, remember that sleeping it is a shutdown of a great part of CNS especially in regards to spine and muscles reflex. If you perform stretch before you can alter the level of this shutdown, resulting in a disturbing sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonas Berglund
42 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Alessandro, remember that sleeping it is a shutdown of a great part of CNS especially in regards to spine and muscles reflex. If you perform stretch before you can alter the level of this shutdown, resulting in a disturbing sleep. 

Intressting point, another reason to do very light stretching and not involve active ones( if any) pre bedtime. 

Jonas Berglund
52 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Intressting point, another reason to do very light stretching and not involve active ones if any pre bedtime. 

@Alessandro Mainente ideally when would we (as latest) put the daily limber stretch in to make sure we arent Messing with CNS shutdown?

1h pre bed?

2-3h pre bed?

• Like 1

Hi Jonas, 

I do personally preform some light stretching 2-3 hours before bed and it helps me relax and sleep well. Alex does have a good point and it may also depent on the person and how you are preforming the stretches. If you are going light and relax your breathing while you stretch it may aid in the shutdown. Experiment my friend!

• Like 3

Alessandro Ganzini

Thank you guys. I was thinking to do just 5-10' of passive stretching in a lying or sitting position remaining far from my limit (let's say 70-80%) just to help me to relax and give another little stimulus to improve my flexibility. I think I'll try to do a body scan / breathing at the same time. Following my limitations I would like to try execises such as Lajin stretch, wall middle split, butterfly or crossed leg sitting or piriformis in a supine postion with a foot on the wall and the other leg crossed on the knee, reach underneath or supine trap stretch. I would like to add another one for my tight hips flexors but nothing relaxing enougth came to my mind, so maybe I'll just smash it a bit . Maybe it'll help to decrease my lordosis during sleep

• Like 1

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Alessandro Ganzini said:

so maybe I'll just smash it a bit . Maybe it'll help to decrease my lordosis during sleep

Be careful when "smashing" foam rolling.  If you're tight enough, it won't prepare you to sleep! Maybe using a stick on your quads is more appropriate since you can manage more easily the pressure without moving your entire body :)

Suzanna McGee

I have been experimenting with this myself, and came to this conclusion: I do the MSS, FSS and TBS at 8:45 PM, go to bed at 10 PM. Pretty much immediately after the stretch series. These nights I sleep like a baby…  Works for me and my CNS. Maybe because I am tired from all the activities during the day, and my mind is tired too, so for me the stretch feels like 50 minutes of meditation. I just listen to Coach's words, the muscles relax into the stretch and my mind is completely calm (no monkey mind, as I tend to be otherwise). I am yawning half way through the stretch series…  :-)  Maybe just experiment what works for you. If you really struggle during the stretches, then they may not be that relaxing. I've tried many different times during the day for my stretching routine, and this works just spectacularly for me. 

• Like 4