Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Short vs tight muscles

Jin Liu

Suzanna McGee
On 1/14/2018 at 4:08 PM, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Very interesting Suzzana. I d love to know which exercises are you doing for stregthening your hip flexors, some from GB maybe? I have the same problem, tight hip flexors and they don t relax. 

I just finished a 6-week program where they "forced" us to work on the hip-flexors a lot, and that was the revelation I had… so much stuff loosened up in my hips when my hip-flexors got stronger. The simplest exercise, that I was doing daily, is the hip-flexors triangles. 2x20 reps on each side. Flex or point your feet, doesn't matter, just keep them engaged. I changed it up, sometimes flexed, sometimes pointed… also make sure it is a triangle and not some kind of circle, as you get tired. If you cramp up in your quads, it shows that they want to take over the work of the hip-flexors. It gets better over time. I was sore in my quads for 10 days in a row in the beginning ( I was doing them daily, but not 2x20r, but maybe 3 times a day 2x20r — my little over-achieving instinct kicked in, lol)… now I do 2x20r, but added 2.5 lbs on each ankle. Try not to use your upper body to lift the leg, just the hip-flexors. Enjoy… don't hate me, ha ha ha… (after you try it… )  :-) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Antonio Alías Montoya

I just tried this @Suzanna McGee... so you do 2 sets, 20 reps each side, 40 reps total per side, right? Do you do 20 reps one side and the change? And last question, you always follow the same direction doing the triangle (side, up and down) or shoul i do it also up, side and center? I hope you understand me... :D

By the way, i couldn t do more than 2 reps... so i was changing from one leg to the other on each rep. :facepalm:

Suzanna McGee
18 minutes ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I just tried this @Suzanna McGee... so you do 2 sets, 20 reps each side, 40 reps total per side, right? Do you do 20 reps one side and the change? And last question, you always follow the same direction doing the triangle (side, up and down) or shoul i do it also up, side and center? I hope you understand me... :D

By the way, i couldn t do more than 2 reps... so i was changing from one leg to the other on each rep. :facepalm:

Yes, I do 20 one leg, then other, and then again… I do the same direction, but you may change it up… Also forgot to mention, not to touch the ground between the reps, but I think you figured it out from the video…  I told you, that is a tough one (that's why "don't hate me, ha ha") :-)  Try to "suck it up" and do the 20, the strength will come really fast… I feel that if I can do 7 or 8, then it is a matter of strong will to do the rest… as you get stronger, your leg will get higher as well. When you feel stronger, keep me posted, I will give you another good one. Maybe no meaning to do it now (it's much harder), until you get this one stronger. 

• Like 3

Étienne Lajeunesse
2 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I just finished a 6-week program where they "forced" us to work on the hip-flexors a lot, and that was the revelation I had… so much stuff loosened up in my hips when my hip-flexors got stronger. The simplest exercise, that I was doing daily, is the hip-flexors triangles. 2x20 reps on each side. Flex or point your feet, doesn't matter, just keep them engaged. I changed it up, sometimes flexed, sometimes pointed… also make sure it is a triangle and not some kind of circle, as you get tired. If you cramp up in your quads, it shows that they want to take over the work of the hip-flexors. It gets better over time. I was sore in my quads for 10 days in a row in the beginning ( I was doing them daily, but not 2x20r, but maybe 3 times a day 2x20r — my little over-achieving instinct kicked in, lol)… now I do 2x20r, but added 2.5 lbs on each ankle. Try not to use your upper body to lift the leg, just the hip-flexors. Enjoy… don't hate me, ha ha ha… (after you try it… )  :-) 

Where did you take that?

This "hip flexor triangle" exercise is interesting and quite deceiving. It's funny after years of doing flutter kicks for my hip flexors, (because of Uncle Sam and his infinite wisdom says so) I thought I had an adequate  amount of strength. Well, turns out I was wrong. @Suzanna Mcgee, thanks for sharing!

6 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Yes, I do 20 one leg, then other, and then again… I do the same direction, but you may change it up… Also forgot to mention, not to touch the ground between the reps, but I think you figured it out from the video…  I told you, that is a tough one (that's why "don't hate me, ha ha") :-)  Try to "suck it up" and do the 20, the strength will come really fast… I feel that if I can do 7 or 8, then it is a matter of strong will to do the rest… as you get stronger, your leg will get higher as well. When you feel stronger, keep me posted, I will give you another good one. Maybe no meaning to do it now (it's much harder), until you get this one stronger. 

I tried too! Can’t do 20. Hate you! :P 

• Like 1

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

I tried too! Can’t do 20. Hate you! :P 

Hee hee, I take these statements as the biggest compliment  :P

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Étienne Lajeunesse
On 15/01/2018 at 4:04 AM, Christopher Hancox said:

Here's some further info I have recently found. The sore points you talk about are actually trigger points. They are where the motor control nerve enters the muscle to tell it to fire. The book by Davies and Davies called 'The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook' has all these point mapped out with the correct self massage techniques. 

Foam rolling is great for a few muscles but, for example, infraspinatus, supraspinatus and pectoralis minor would be impossible to get with a roller. A lacrosse ball or theracane would be a much better option for these.

Thanks for the book suggestion Christopher! I bought it and it's really interesting.  Worth every dollars.  A good purchase @Jin Liu :)

• Like 2