Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to gain weight, not lose weight

Greg Case

Almost all nutrition advice is geared towards losing weight/fat. I am 6' and 150 lbs. I would love to get to 165 lbs but this has always been incredibly difficult. I am enjoying the Thrive program but was wondering if there is any advice for me beyond "eat 5 meals a day and wake up at 1 a.m. and drink a protein shake", which is not what the Thrive program is suggesting at all, this is simply the advice given by most gym rats. I have a full time job and two small children (one is 5 months old and requires most of my free time) so I'm looking to maximize foods before/after workouts and I have no interest in gyms and heavy weight lifting at 42 years old. I can not stress enough how difficult gaining muscle mass has been and I'm wondering if GST can provide answers.  

Mikey Cunanan

Hello Greg,

Based off of your height and weight, it sounds like you are a lean guy. Some call it being an ectomorph. Others call it being a "hard-gainer". Regardless, getting to your goal weight will take significant time as your body likely has a fast metabolism. Of course, to gain weight you will need to eat A Lot of food. Following Thrive, what you can do is make sure that you are eating plenty of calorie and nutrient dense foods. Grains, meats, fats, veggies. All of it. 

If you find that you get full too fast, try eating a little faster from the start of your meal. Your body takes time to signal signs of satiation to your brain. Take advantage of this and consume as much as you can before you feel full.

Other than that, train hard and stay patient. Gaining quality size and weight takes significant time. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.