Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstands after retinal re-attachment surgery

Sandra Magnusen

Sandra Magnusen

After retinal re-attachment and buckle surgery, is it safe to do handstands? After the first eye surgery, I was barely starting handstand training again with my doctor's permission. The retina detached again, and the second surgery included putting a "buckle" around the eye. Will handstand training cause pressure in the eyeball? If so, is it possible the pressure would "break" the buckle?

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente

hey Sandra yes it is possible. Sincerely i cannot say to you do begin again, it requires a lot o responsibility.

Hi Sandra, 

I would check with your doctor first. Follow your dreams, crawling is considered as progress so go slow and do what you love. 

Happy New Year! 

Jared Birbeck

Yes you can handstand. I had scleral buckle almost 12 years ago now due to lattice degeneration. I wasn’t doing handstands then, but I do now. No problems for me but it would have been 6-7 years after the surgery that I started. I feel some pressure in the eye but only when I am out of position, in a nice handstand it is a great resting position and no pressure. I wouldn’t rush into it if it was recent surgery giving the retina time to reattach and scar into place. There is always later for handstands (and tumbling if you want and feel safe).

• 4 weeks later...
Sandra Magnusen

Thank you everyone who replied. I dearly love handstand training, but I love eyesight more. I will continue to "crawl" until I am certain my eye is fully ready to handle the position. Plenty of other things I can be training right now!