Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

freestanding handstands to rings

Ryan Hutchins

Ryan Hutchins

Sorry if this already exists but the search tool sucks. I have my freestanding HS all day. Now I'm taking it to the rings. I have been working at this for a while. I can hold it shoulders pressed out and feet on the inside now. Do I just keep going at it this way or is there a better progression or training advice that would expedite my proficiency in Ring HS?

Hopefully, you've already mastered the handstand on PB. You can also use or build a ring rocker PB HS which is a similar to a set of PB, except the bottom half is a half circle/oval so that it rocks back and forth.

ring_rocker.jpg

Other than that just a lot of practice.

I focus on really extending my legs on the straps and then taking one leg off at a time and then together. However, a spot would probably be better. Sometimes I can self-spot if the rings are off a high bar.

Ryan Hutchins

Thx... I'll try the leg thing. As far as Pbar rockers go I'll have to find a cheap way of making some. Right now I use ring straps attached to the high bar. That works best for me right now. As far as strength goes these ring handstands are so tough that after a few 30 second holds I can no longer extend my shoulders or even keep my shoulder angle open. I'll keep at it. How frequent and for how long should I train this a week Blairbob?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

wow that thing looks sick!

when I can get normal HS down properly I will make one of those

Ryan Hutchins

Well I found my answer. In BTGB Coach says that His coach made him hold 30 minutes of ring HS a day!!!!!

Beastmode...... Activate!

Tho I think I'll start with 5 minutes

Yep.

As with most small gymnastics equipment and apparatus. Most can be made a lot cheaper than what you'd pay for them. It's just getting around to making it that can be a pain. Or getting all the tools.

• 2 weeks later...
Crimsoncross

I've always wondered...what do you do when you're in a HS on the rings and you start falling forwards?

I tried doing a hs on my pushup bars the other day, and then I started falling forward and one bar went flying somewhere and I nearly crashed lol. It was scary.

Crimsoncross

Note: the pushup bars were in a horizontal position, not in a vertical one like parallel bars, so that made it very difficult to balance.

A HS on a single rail is much harder to balance on. That's why I'm so amazed of Giouseppe the Wonder Kid doing partial ROM HSPU on a single rail at his age.

As for HS on rings? Well, hopefully you can try bending your arms and lowering to a shoulderstand but you best know how to roll out of the shoulderstand or you are gonna be buggered.

If the rings are low, hopefully you have something to land on besides floor. If they are on high rings...well, :roll: :shock: :?

High rings, fall over and land on your feet, or more preferable fall and land on your back in a landing pit :lol:

• 2 weeks later...