Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Learning the backflip

Jo Christian Weldingh

Frank Santasiero

You can go to Bounce Trampoline Sports (if they have one in your area and start chucking backflips into the foam pit). This will incorrectly teach you significant back travel on your back flips. It will however be a back flip. If you have the courage you can then transition that to landing on the trampoline surface and bouncing into the foam pit after landing. A better way would be to go do an adult gymnastics facility and get professional help. For me an effective method was to stand at the end of tumble trak and get someone to spot me over and over again until I needed less of a spot. I was landing in a big puffy mat. You still may have a tendency to jump back not up. I tend to freak out and ask for spotting when I don't need it. I guess that is a mental block but back flips are scary. If I had the courage, was willing to risk injury and had someone to spot me I think the next step would be to transition this to the gymnastics floor perhaps with some cushioning to ease the landing. I have done other drills like jumping up onto a high raised surface and doing a backward roll but that didn't seem to help me. Just gave me a stiff neck.

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jo, in this case, I recommend the Movement one course. the ability to perform the backward roll it is fundamentals for the backflip development. Also, Foundations 4 for legs gives the correct amount of legs strength in order to develop later the power for repulsing and absorbing your weight. The front split series gives the correct range of motion of hips in order to maximize the hips work on the beginning of the jump. the foundations especially the manna development gives a reasonable basic strength for future development of the tuck variation which must be achieved as fast as possible in the air.

As you can see, backflip it is technical. But there is not technical perfection without basic strength and mobility.

• Like 1

Frank Santasiero

Alessandro,

Excellent post and yes you do need to be prepared physically for this movement however once that is achieved you still can't do a back flip. After you are physically prepared what comes next?

Alessandro Mainente

A gymnastics facility.

You need bow to use your arms and the hips power, how to jump vertically with a little component of horizontal movement, technical exercise in order to understand how (NOT) to use your head, then exercise to understand when it is the time to tuck the legs to the chest, then exercises to understand when you have to open the hips, then exercise to understand how you need to land.

basically, you need a gymnastics facility and a coach for a face-to-face tutelage.

• Like 1