Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lower back and shoulder pain

Adam Johnson

Hi. I think I'm ready to get rid of my lower back pain, as well as my shoulder pain, and I would love a little guidance. I currently am in pain all the time. I frequently have to take breaks from standing or sitting in a chair to a position of more relief on my lower back. For a little history, I used to not be able to turn the radio dial in my car without supporting my right arm, I would have to reach over with my left hand and support my right arm under the elbow. I figured I needed surgery for a torn rotator cuff and was waiting for insurance to get it done. Luckily, while at a Tony Robbins seminar, he counseled everyone to get a book called "Pain Free", by Pete Egoscue. I got the book, and followed the simple exercises and was shocked by the results. While not 100% healed, the result was night at day. I had less success with my lower back pain, but soon found out about Gymnastic Bodies through the Tim Ferriss podcast. My brother purchased the Fundamentals program and I followed it to the t. I've incorporated the daily limber into my daily workout now for about 14 months, and am easily the most flexible one of my friends, and am constantly preaching the good word of Gymnastic Bodies every chance I get. I've been wanting to get the next program for quite some time now, but I don't know where to start. I still have constant back pain, but at least I can now bounce out of bed, and can stand up straight (a thing I was unable to do before fundamentals.) I used to do crossfit and liked to incorporate squats into my workout program, but found the I kept throwing my back out, so now I just do lots of air squats. I would love to finally get rid of my shoulder pain and that lower back pain, and continue to progress into all the gymnastic movements.    

So, I guess my long winded question is, what do you recommend for me next? 

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Hi Adam :) 

thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forum!

Happy to hear that you’ve gotten better with our Fundamentals course. After completing this course you have all the necessary tools in order to achieve great success with Foundation One. I also recommend to combine this course with the Stretch series. These series are designed to help you improve both your active and passive flexibility. Many students have also overcome shoulder and lower back pain by following the Stretch and Foundation series. 

That being said, just to be on the safe side I always recommend to check with a physio or other medical professional before starting a new exercise program. An in person diagnosis is definitely the safest way to go :) 

Please let us know if you have any further questions. I hope to follow your strength and flexibility gains on the forum. Feel free to share your journey with us :) 

Thanks for you reply! I certainly will share all my progress. In fact, I'm sure I'll be sharing way too much!

xoxo

• Like 2

When was the last time you visited a chiropractor to make sure: A) your back is as straight as it should be
and B) your shoulder is not subluxated ?

Also, a chewable B12 tablet will help relieve the intensity of pain.  

• Like 2

I went to a chiropractor last year. It's been a while, but my last visit didn't seem to have much effect, and the Dr. didn't really say that I needed anything in particular. My father was a chiropractor, so I'm a big believer, and it's definitely not a question of whether or not I believe in Chiropractics. I should go back for a check up though, for sure. I did my first Core workout today, and it really exposed some weaknesses. I have plenty to work on. My lower back is definitely locked up, and my right shoulder couldn't quite allow for clean form with the Still Leg Windmill. The Seated Russian Twist, and the Standing Hip Circles were also tough. 

• Like 1