Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain during front lever

Theo Rousselin

Theo Rousselin

Hi everyone,

I have a problem and want to discuss it with you in case you would have informations or advices about it.

I've been practicing gymnastics (or calisthenics I don't know) on my own for a few years now. I managed to hold the front lever for 4-5 seconds several months ago, some weeks after, I started to feel a strong pain in my upper back, on a point located between the scapulas. It's like something is burning as soon as I go in tuck front lever position. After feeling that pain, I felt it everyday for 3 or 4 days and then didn't feel it anymore, I tried resting for 2 weeks but the same thing happened (less intense of course because I was being careful).

Yesterday I tried going in tuck frontlever for the first time since one month and I felt the pain again. I noticed that when I go in full protraction the pain is almost inexistant, I think I am going to train it in full protraction next time although it doesnt seem natural for me.

I have few theories about that problem, one is that I think I am sometimes forgetting to breathe out during my front lever holds.

Thank you in advance

• Like 1

Hi Theo, 

I come from a Massage Therapy background and it sounds like you have a Trigger Point in your upper back inbetween your scapula. Trigger Points are a knot in the muscle, that either come from active or passive reasons. I recommend seeing a professional body worker to work out this kink. One thing to know is once it is there it will not go away on its own. We all have these knots and when they become active they can send referral pain. 

Not saying that this is what is happening to you, but it does sound like a good match. Definitely check with your Physio for a sure answer. 

Unknown.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Theo Rousselin

Hi Tanya,

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I feel the pain at the same location than the cross on the picture, I think that's the problem I have.

I'm going to see a doctor and will keep you aware of my recovery.

• Like 1

Hello, I ever had this type of injury during my front lever training, i do street workout too, and what i can suggest you, and that works for me, is doing cold/hot shower alternatively, and resting. I dont know if you have the same injury as i had, but i felt pain in my upper body between scapular too, so maybe it will help 

• Like 1