Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Core stability and hamstring stiffness

Étienne Lajeunesse

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey everyone,

I found this interesting article about the connection of the core stability and the hamstrings relief.

It suggest two exercises for immediate and long term effect if done regularly.  I've done them and, as a matter of fact, I felt that my right hamstring (I've got some posts for this right hamstring with extreme stiffness) was momentarly looser (both in fact).

So now I do them every day to see how it will work in the long term.

Here's the link : http://chadwaterbury.com/strengthen-your-core-and-loosen-your-hamstrings/

What do you think guys?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Etienne,i've always had a fixed opinion on swiss ball exercise and exercise with instability surface. IF you have a very low level of general proprioception and in case of rehab after an injury, they can be useful. if not they tend to rest standalone exercises where simply you feel more the core because you are shifting the center of gravity when you move the upper limbs. it is a simple way to make the plank harder. another detail that in the video does not occur, if the swiss ball it is not completely filled with air the exercise loses the biggest part of the benefits.

I mean that the body responds well to the training on the unstable surface only if your sports it is practiced on the unstable surface, if not you are preparing the body responding to stimuli that it will never have.

This concept it is discussed today from trainer to trainer but at the level of the nervous system the body responds to external simutli , and if they are not the same of the training session you are going to fail.

the strength is always specific.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, thanks for your reply.

In my case a would say it's kind of a rehabilitation in the way I had some weak points in my core and my hamstrings were taking the load.  Don't you think? (Btw, the ball I use is pretty filled)

In the case you've just told me (where an unstable surface is not the way to prepare for GST), is GB core series the way you would do it, instead of those 2 on swiss ball?  Or do you have exercises I can do now to strengthen everything in addition with the core series?  

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

My answer is generally without specific reference, the F1 protocol it is perfect.

I can tell you that I tested the approach you posted yesterday on one of my tightest client and nothing happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1