Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

length gymnastic exercises

twan

I am 19years old and have recently started training some gymnastic moves like hspu, back lever, pistols, planche progressions. Will it make the exercises a lot harder due to my height, because I'm 194cm (=6'3)?

Or doesn't height really matter? I'm asking this because my planche training is been slow-going for the last 2-3weeks.

I am no expert, but i'm very sure the longer you are, the more difficult the exercise is.. Simply because when you tuck your legs, the exercise becomes more easy. So by shortening your legs, an exercise becomes easier.

There is a physic rule for this, the crowbar rule.. Don't know how it's called in England/America but in Holland it's called the crowbar rule..

Edward Smith

Yes being taller will make it harder, but, you will also get more out of it. It's all about leverage.

George Launchbury

Hi twan,

It will also vary depending on what proportion of your weight is in your legs: Heavy legs will make the levers a little harder, again because of the leverage involved. However if you've got proportionally lighter legs, that will help matters slightly. You should expect to hit plateaus from time to time anyway, which is normal with gaining strength. Sometimes it's a sign that you need to ease off for a few sessions to get a little extra recovery?

Cheers,

George.

I think people worry too much about this in my opinion. yes it makes a big difference for certain move. I still say work with what you got. I'm 6'1 and have been told by coaches in the past I should give up gymnastics or that they simply cant spot me. Same ones also said they couldnt figure out how I was able to move like I did, or why I was so flexible or how i learned so fast.

In the end how well you do is going to be based on your drive and desire to succeed given the body you have. Being tall or short doesnt make you a good athlete. Training your butt off and having the will to do so is what makes you a strong athlete.

George Launchbury
In the end how well you do is going to be based on your drive and desire to succeed given the body you have. Being tall or short doesnt make you a good athlete. Training your butt off and having the will to do so is what makes you a strong athlete.

Amen!

...with the additional disclaimer that training their butt off also includes going the extra mile with making room for proper recovery, improving nutrition and all that other tedious and important stuff that makes it all possible ...but so few people bother with! :)

George.

George Launchbury

Hey Joe,

I could have worded that a little better. Sorry if I've caused any offense? It was intended mainly for people who haven't realised that yet, and have been training really hard with few relative gains.

Cheers,

George.

Guest Valentin

Hi

Just to point out a few extra to the current discussion

1- Yes height does matter. Predominantly because of the disadvantage in strength-to-mass ratio. All things being equal smaller athletes are stronger pound for pound then larger athletes. The reason for this is because the muscles contractile forces is fairly proportional to its cross-sectional area, which is related to its square of linear body dimensions, where as a muscles mass mass is proportional to its volume, which is related to th cube of linear body dimensions, therefore as body size increases body mass increases more rapidly then muscle strength. (Baechle & Earle, 2000)

I agree that this should not something to put you off from training, as there are plenty of factors that can to an extended degree make up for this disadvantage, and thus help you reach your goals (eg.. you could have a greater proportion of Type IIb fibers, you could have more distal tendon insertions etc..)

Work hard, training hard and smart, and chance are you will get where you want to, but don't compare yourself to others as this can become a really depressing situation.

Being tall or short doesnt make you a good athlete. Training your butt off and having the will to do so is what makes you a strong athlete.

Soo true JoeSimo

Work hard, training hard and smart, and chance are you will get where you want to, but don't compare yourself to others as this can become a really depressing situation.

Exactly! I say be happy with the body you have and push it to its absolute limits. Will I ever be a champion olympic gymnast? no I doubt I will ever compete in gymnastics period. But that doesnt stop me from practicing it for the simple reason that I love it. How ever far I get with it is how far I get and that will leave me satisfied in my training.

I dont want to be the best. I just want to be the best I can be.

You know its funny too. It seems the more I say I only train for myself and to push my limits and the less I worry about meeting others expectations, the faster and farther my abilities progress. I'm at the point now where I am doing things I thought I wouldn't be able to do, a year ago, in my life time. Just imagine what I will be saying next year, 5, 10,15 years from now.